NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for suggestions advice, me and a buddy will be going to salt water for first time in the kayaks. i know the tidal waters can be difficult and this is a busy weekend so it will be somewhere like newbern or something like that for first time. where high and low tides are not strong....been kayak fishing alot just new to salt with the yaks.. any advice on where to go..targeting anything reds flounder etc.. and maybe what ramp to put in at ..any help would be great.... thanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Too true that this weekend will be TOO busy. If you are up for a longer trip, Try Fort Fisher. Get on I40 and go til it ends in the water. There will be boats there, but usually fewer because the water is shallow. Can expect to see reds, trout and flounder in there. For tide lookup at this location see Cape Fear River, Zeke's Island.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Fort Fisher is a great place to go if you are new to saltwater with a kayak.
You have protected waters in the saltwater "lakes". Semi protected in the river on the other side of the wall, and then the ocean on the other side.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
love to do the fort but figured this weekend it would take as long to get on the island, than the ride there..now queens creek sounds interesting.....thanks for the info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts