NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I’m new here but thought that maybe I could get some valuable advice! Every summer we go to Emerald Isle (NC obviously) and spend a week of absolute joy there catching everything from Ghost Crabs to eels and stingrays (amongst the many other things to do). However, as of yet I have not been able to catch a darn thing with my 8 weight Fly Rod. I’m fishing various Clousers and while I am a beginner I am starting to feel as though I’m just missing the areas with fish that would take that kind of fly. I tend to fish with my Fly Rod on the bay side of the ocean in about 2-3 feet of water near grass beds. I’m open to any and all advice on this but do not have access to a boat and so my saltwater fishing is strictly off of the shore! But as I said any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Pat
PS-we’re going early August this year if that makes any difference with the kinds of fish that will be around.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello Pat and Welcome to NCangler. I am sure there will be lots of info coming your way on this. I have been going down there since 1980. The sound side of Emerald Isle is shallow. You can get a pair of sock foot chest wadders and put on some wadding shoes or boots and walk out into most of the water. Of course, you do need to fins out the depth of the area you plan to fish and you need to go slowly, feeling your way. I have been out there with my wife on a raft picking up scallops and clams. You might want to find a spot where there is a feeder creek or closer to the inlet in the shallows. Also, the line may be a factor. Are you using a floating line, sinking line, or intermediate line. Floating with a clouser may not get it. You may need and intermediate line so that it gets down to the fish. Reds and Specks mostly feed on the bottom. However, I will draw the line here and wait for one of the experts to chime in with their pearls of wisdom and experience. Good Luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi EF,
I would recommend intermediate line. Fish moving water. SW fish hang just like trout do in streams. Fish points, dropoffs, edges. Also don't forget the docks. Also, Don't limit yourself to the bay side. Get up early and walk the beach. Fish the troughs and the rips. Scout for troughs at low tide and then fish them at high tide. Sometimes the fish are right in the wash. Good polaroid sunglasses will help a lot.
Good luck,
Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! I figured I’d have to dangle this line out for at least a week before I got any feedback! Thanks for the swift responses! I am using floating line and so will have to find some good intermediate line! Slow and KJ, how far away do I need to be when I’m hitting the troughs and rips? I know for most of the bay stuff I’ve been trying to cast from as far away as I can towards my target. My reasoning for this is because I read that most bay fish tend to be pretty skittish about boats being near where they hit and so I figured the same principal ought to be followed for wading? Good idea bad idea? Is this true at all?

Thanks for all of your great adv!

Pat

·
Registered
353 Posts
The new Orvis Wonderline in about $55-60. I would suggest a 8wt or 9wt rod, 8wt Wonderline Intermediate, and a knot-less leader specifically for Redfish. Or, my favorite, Flurocarbon line as a leader. It disappears in the water so that your presentation looks more real and less like a small anchor. :rolleyes:
As for position, stay where the sun is in front of you and not behind you. Casting your shadow across the water is not good. Fish are moving constantly, so don't worry about the distance as much as the location. Find a good point, drop-off, or area where you can see bait fish in schools and stay put for a little while, patience. Cast sparingly, don't thrash the water and chase off possible incoming. Patience, location, patience, location, over and over and over again.:confused: Sorry, but that is what it takes to fly fish and most folks just don't get it. Its not like a bass boat and sling bait all over the place. No offense intended guys, cause I do it too from time to time. But Fly Fishing is an art and like great painters, time, practice, and patience result in success. Tight Lines.
If you visit Orvis at the Town Center Mall, ask for John. He'll help you and he knows Fly Fishing. Good Guy with years of knowledge.;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
With wading, or walking the bank, you can get pretty close to fish sometimes. I would disagree slightly with Slowriser about the sun however. If the sun is at your back, you will be much more able to see the fish. If you are standing in the water or on the bank, your shadow will not be that far out in fron of you however you ability to see the fish will be dramatically better with the sun to your back. Also, remember that fish face into or swim into the current looking for bait being brought to them.

Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.