NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get into tying my own flys for salt water and Im not sure where to start. Does anyone have an opinion on what Id need to tie basic decievers and such.(like materials, tools, helpful books, etc.)
Id be targeting redfish, albies, bonito, tunas and anything else that swims in the sea!:D

Thanks for the imputs

Yank.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yank--- I would suggest a simple basic starter kit to begin with--Leave the bells and whistles for later. The web is loaded with patterns. Pick some simple ones to start with and have at it. Can't tie one on till you get a hook in the vise and thread on the bobbin.:)

Reactions: Yank

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
There's a lot of books out there and I have become a book junkie. The most helpful item that I bought was the video Tying Techniques with Lefty and Bob. You don't have to by the video. You can go to Movie Downloads On Demand - Download Movies and Download Videos and download it for like $2.99 . This will give you seven days to look it over before the license expires.

As far as materials there's nothing exotic about the patterns you mentioned. some bucktail. saddle hackles. kystal flash.dumbell eyes. thread and good Saltwater Hooks is all you need.

Spend a couple of extra bucks on a good vise that will hold the hooks tight. Other items needed; bobbin. Bobbin Threader. Hackle Pliers, and a Dubbing needle are about all it takes to get started.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i found 4 good videos for tying fresh & salt water flys at movie downloads on demand check it out .also go to bass pro thay have the best priced starter kits evarything you need for salt or fresh water for about 60.00 delivered:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.