NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What else should I be doing to take care of my boat besides flushing the motor and spraying it off?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
A good thorough rinse on the whole boat AND trailer to include the wheels is a must. At least annually a good coat of wax on the hull, semi annually would he better. For the motor make sure you follow the service requirements according to your owners manual. Keep the zincs changed as required as well and lastly every month or two remove the cowl and rinse the motor with fresh water allow to dry and then spray with a corrosion spray such as Boeshield. If your motor is belt driven be sure not to spray the belt or the pulleys but everything else is good to go. Also if you don't have a 10 micron fuel water separator get one installed and change that filter regularly as well. Last but not least try to never use ethanol fuel, but since that is nearly impossible in today's world make sure you treat the fuel with an ethanol treatment. If the boat is going to sit for any period of time be sure I treat the fuel or drain the tank. Also make sure to keep your bearings on your trailer greased and if you don't already have a spare tire and spare hub assembly get one. I'm sure I'll think of more...Bust Out Another Thousand

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a 2014 Carolina Skiff 218 DLV with a Yamaha 115.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I would change the water pump impeller every year regardless. Replace water pump as needed.
Another thing changing that impeller does is make you drop the lower unit. You won't have frozen bolt issues if you exercise those bolts. Every lower unit I've ever had a problem removing were the ones used in saltwater and rarely if ever had the lower dropped for any maintenance.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also make sure to keep your bearings on your trailer greased and if you don't already have a spare tire and spare hub assembly get one. I'm sure I'll think of more...Bust Out Another Thousand
Good advice here! I'm paying the price right now for neglecting my trailer...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
when you wash out your boat also run your bilge pump and bait wells if you have them.. Keep battery cables cleaned and coated with grease regularly as well as all other main connections. Trolling plug trailer plug etc. Keeping the boat or at least the fuel tank out of the hot sun helps slow down moisture condensation in the fuel as well. Sun is also harsh on the rubber hoses and tires so cover them when stored long periods.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like Seafoam additive personally, and it's available at any auto store and wally world.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I used to use a CRC product on my 65 HP engine block, and on a 115 Hp that I later replaced the 65 HP with. When I sold the 65, the guy who bought it thought I had replaced, or rebuilt the engine. Can't remember the CRC product I used back then, but most likely similar to the one Girkman uses. I used the 65 HP a lot in the salt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
CRC makes so much stuff but 56 is the anti-corossion spray. I mused it on my Yamaha and every time I lifted my engine cover and people saw it. They were surprised of how clean the engine was.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
White vinegar does a great job of disolving salt and mineral deposits, also much cheaper than salt away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts