NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tentatively planned to do a trip to the Robbinsville area the weekend of 11/13-11/14, maybe hit Santeetlah one day, Calderwood or Cheoah the next.

However, on Brookfield’s schedule 11/13 is shown as a “High Release” day from Santeetlah.
Is that when a lot of kayakers and/or rafters will descend on the area to run the river?
If so, what is the impact(s) to fishing? Will it be a big pain to fishing the area lakes?
Does it result in such congestion for the weekend or scarce accommodations, or otherwise, so that it’s a “stay away from here this weekend?”
Anyone know or have info? TIA!

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's not necessarily a "stay away" weekend....But, it will Definitely affect the fishing on Calderwood. The current is a good thing.....but, the congestion of boats that dump into the lake.......?

Google: "Kayaking the Cheoah River"

Santeetlah, on the other hand, will be fine.....with a few more scenic kayakers visiting than normal. Cheoah.....will be mostly unbothered.

Good Luck!....D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks D. That's what I needed. I can avoid Calderwood. I'd probably drive up on Saturday anyway and fish Santeetlah. Drop down on the cold lake Sunday. The schedule shows this as a one day (11/13) release.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering if they "open the gates" with a high flow release into the Cheoah River, what that does to the fishing IN the lake. I would think there would be a change, perhaps current, maybe lake level dropping? I don't know if in one day high release, they release enough volume long enough to actually impact the lake in any significant way, or what effect that may have on fishing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't been to Calderwood in about three years......but, usually current is Better.....especially on the upper lake. I might get to Calderwood and/or Cheoah on my next trip. I am looking forward to checking them out again.

Good Fishing!....D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts