NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tentatively planned to do a trip to the Robbinsville area the weekend of 11/13-11/14, maybe hit Santeetlah one day, Calderwood or Cheoah the next.

However, on Brookfield’s schedule 11/13 is shown as a “High Release” day from Santeetlah.
Is that when a lot of kayakers and/or rafters will descend on the area to run the river?
If so, what is the impact(s) to fishing? Will it be a big pain to fishing the area lakes?
Does it result in such congestion for the weekend or scarce accommodations, or otherwise, so that it’s a “stay away from here this weekend?”
Anyone know or have info? TIA!

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's not necessarily a "stay away" weekend....But, it will Definitely affect the fishing on Calderwood. The current is a good thing.....but, the congestion of boats that dump into the lake.......?

Google: "Kayaking the Cheoah River"

Santeetlah, on the other hand, will be fine.....with a few more scenic kayakers visiting than normal. Cheoah.....will be mostly unbothered.

Good Luck!....D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks D. That's what I needed. I can avoid Calderwood. I'd probably drive up on Saturday anyway and fish Santeetlah. Drop down on the cold lake Sunday. The schedule shows this as a one day (11/13) release.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering if they "open the gates" with a high flow release into the Cheoah River, what that does to the fishing IN the lake. I would think there would be a change, perhaps current, maybe lake level dropping? I don't know if in one day high release, they release enough volume long enough to actually impact the lake in any significant way, or what effect that may have on fishing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I haven't been to Calderwood in about three years......but, usually current is Better.....especially on the upper lake. I might get to Calderwood and/or Cheoah on my next trip. I am looking forward to checking them out again.

Good Fishing!....D

·
Registered
798 Posts
The problem with going to Calderwood on a Cheoah River release day is parking at Calderwood Lake. There might be none?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went up that weekend and fished Cheoah. That afternoon I drove up to Robbinsville for the night and since it was getting toward dark the kayakers were off the river. But the river at that flow volume was impressive! And since they dump into the head of Calderwood, yeah, forget the ramp area or parking unless you get there WAY early and stay till dark after they're all done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts