NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS, We went to lake Santeetlah and the nantahala this past weekend.We did well on the smallies and largemouth (small ones) but really did well on the nant in the evenings. first day the count was fourteen mostly brook trout and a few bows. The secound evening it was around ten or so,you kinda lose count after a while.We kept some for the pan and put some back for next time.all we kept were from 13 to 17 inches the water was cold and clear. nice nice nice.(pictures to come):D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help!! I am a very novice fisherman I admit, but I'll be darned if I can catch anything on Santeetlah. I have a little cabin there (no you won't see it as you ride around the lake...I said "little") and have never, no never, caught anything there. Please tell me how, when, where and with what you fish Santeetlah with. I would love to be able to say I have caught a fish there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HT, we fished early in the morning(daybreak) with a hard jerk bait (I used a smithwick in blue and chrome) Like tom said beat the banks. A fast irratic retrieve worked for me and my canoe is a quiet low profile way to get close. good luck

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crummy, these fish came from below the power plant in the hatchery supported water. I`m gonna try and go again the end of the month. It`s about nine hours from my house but a day like that makes it worth every minute.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey tom, yeah I went once especially to go at night but once on the stream(by myself) all I could think about was BEAR! so I packed it in and waited till daylight.As for the rafters? yeah you have to dodge a few but they usually stop around five or so then you can watch the raging torrent subside and the trout rise. pure heaven!

·
Registered
205 Posts
bears, common, they only run around downtown asheville and around my house destroying my trash cans:mad: no, seriously I have bear hunted the gorge and around fontana for years, but i have never heard of one harassing a fisherman. did have one steal a pack of bacon around winding stair gap one night. (winding stair is above nantahala lake) i would worry more about the rabid raccoon and foxes we have out here:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.