NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't made a post in a while. Been watching some forums. Thanks to all who have been posting. It helps keep me updated and wanting to fish. The last few years I've been fishing lake jocassee in the winter and not santeetlah. For years I fished santeetlah quite often. Hoping to return this weekend for Labor Day weekend. I'll be bringing my new (used) boat for it's first trip to santeetlah. We plan to troll for trout as always. Also hoping to catch some walleye while staying on the boat over night. Was hoping some one could chime in on any updated info for these two species. Thanks in advance for the help. I will be sure to post our catch and give a detailed report for those who fish there.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice Parker--Good luck w/ it.

Unfortunately, we did not fish Santeelah this year but we'll hit it once over this coming Thanksgiving week(We stay at Fontana Village). We have always done ok in the dam area. 2 years ago, November, we caught three 15-17'' nice Rainbows and two 3-4 lb walleyes all within 500 yards of the dam. Spoons and spinner rigs won that day. My wife hooked and lost a 5 lb Rainbow that jumped 10 times right in from of the dam.

I am staying at Devils Fork State park in one of their Villas 3/17-25 fishing Jocassee--which we do every couple years.
We do ok there and have had a couple of great days but we need to learn it better. Generally, we start in the main basin and troll over the river channel 25-60' down over 200 fow. Any help is appreciated on that place.

Good luck on Santeelah

Coach

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Parker--Good luck w/ it.

Unfortunately, we did not fish Santeelah this year but we'll hit it once over this coming Thanksgiving week(We stay at Fontana Village). We have always done ok in the dam area. 2 years ago, November, we caught three 15-17'' nice Rainbows and two 3-4 lb walleyes all within 500 yards of the dam. Spoons and spinner rigs won that day. My wife hooked and lost a 5 lb Rainbow that jumped 10 times right in from of the dam.

I am staying at Devils Fork State park in one of their Villas 3/17-25 fishing Jocassee--which we do every couple years.
We do ok there and have had a couple of great days but we need to learn it better. Generally, we start in the main basin and troll over the river channel 25-60' down over 200 fow. Any help is appreciated on that place.

Good luck on Santeelah

Coach
Coach, call me before you go. I'll let you know when I'm catching them at. It changes every year depending on temps and weather. I'll pm you my number. I should be there the second weekend of that month fishing a tournament. March is an excellent month to catch them in the top 45 ft. I'll let you know how I do at santeetlah.

Thanks Nick

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you sir --love to hear about Santeelah and more about Jocassee. I ll look for a PM from you. We had our best day on Jocassee in late April '21-- 8/9 trout in 4 hours all between 3-5 lbs and lost a stud. Half were Browns/Half Rainbows. We have never spent a week on that gorgeous place before.

Good fishing

Coach

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well we made it up Saturday In the rain just after 1pm. Got all our stuff packed in the boat and on the water by 125pm. Launched out of cheoah boat ramp. Lines in the water immediately. Started with 4 lines. 2 downriggers and 2 lead cores. Ten minutes in we had our first fish on. A bass. Continued to catch bass for about an hour. Then the trout started. Fished a few laps around the bottom and the dam. Then decided to head up towards funnel too and the river mouths. Thats when we hit the white bass. They are some hard fighting fish. Circled around about half way up towards Massey. Back towards the dam for a few more trout. Then went towards blue bird to anchor for the night. Got the boat set up and generator running. Cooked up some trout and white bass with taters for dinner. It was awesome. The trout was one of the strain with orange meat. It's was good. Fished Saturday night with a green light in the water. Was using a sabiki rig and jigging up live shad. Then dropping them down. Caught two trout before crashing for the night. Ended the day with 22 total fish caught.

Sunday morning was a different story. No rain at the time, cloudy and overcast. Perfect conditions. However the fish didn't want to cooperate. Only one white bass and a couple small large mouth. Rain was moving in so we decided to load up and head home. But before we could dad caught a small bass on a lead core with a plug. That's when he decided to grab the lure, the fish flipped and sank one of the trebles deep in his finger. I cleared lines and we came up with a plan. He held his finger, and I used a piece of line looped to put around the hook. Held the lure and snatched the hook from his finger. We were both amazed at how well this method worked. I had seen a video years back on how to do that. Thankful I had. We load the boat and made it home safe. Hope to be back in a few weeks when it cools on down.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice trip except for the injury.

Dang trebles are so dangerous. One summer I had hooked my hand on 3 separate occasions. I fished barbless for a number of years after that. I got away from it though. I should go back to it.
~JOE~

·
Registered
108 Posts
Definitely a great trip.......enjoy fishing with your old man.....Fishing was the only thing my Dad and I had in common.
I lost him way too young.... so treasure those moments. I must say, a little envious as I am stuck in 95 degree Florida til Thanksgiving. LoL

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the Report. It sounds like you know your way around Santeetlah pretty well. It can be a daunting lake....unless you have and understand electronics. Once you "get it".....the lake is Full of fish. The "strain with orange meat" just means it's a Holdover Trout.....that has been in the lake for a year or more.

I too am a little jealous......and loading up for Thanksgiving right now. I'm Happy to see Reports from the Mountain Lakes. Thanks again for sharing.....D

·
Registered
2 Posts
That whole deal seems pretty cool to me, including the pilot house Parker (a common boat down here in NC saltwater; I am in Wilmington). The Parker seems out of its element up there in the mountains in sweetwater; but when I think it through, that is a great fit for that style rig. What you guys do is so different than what I am accustomed to - freshwater bass primarily and a little inshore saltwater - basically casting artificial lures in shallow water the majority of the time.

Going out in a deep, scenic mountain lake and fishing for suspended fish, protection from the elements in the sport cabin and the ability to fry up the bounty on the spot - I would sign up for a trip like that, I could learn a lot!

We are all fisherman on here, there are just so many ways to do it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That whole deal seems pretty cool to me, including the pilot house Parker (a common boat down here in NC saltwater; I am in Wilmington). The Parker seems out of its element up there in the mountains in sweetwater; but when I think it through, that is a great fit for that style rig. What you guys do is so different than what I am accustomed to - freshwater bass primarily and a little inshore saltwater - basically casting artificial lures in shallow water the majority of the time.

Going out in a deep, scenic mountain lake and fishing for suspended fish, protection from the elements in the sport cabin and the ability to fry up the bounty on the spot - I would sign up for a trip like that, I could learn a lot!

We are all fisherman on here, there are just so many ways to do it.
Thanks, we love our boat. Just got it in December out of Miami. We fish jocassee in the winter trolling for trout. Hope to add a trolling motor to the front and start walleye fishing more.

The cabin is nice and a plus with a marine air unit. A small gen does it well, and even powers the skillet to fry up dinner.

Sleeping is another story. It is tight for two adults to sleep. We need to bring pillows and that may of helped.

We are planning the next trip and getting geared up for jocassee in December. And hope squeeze in a trip to the coast after Blue Fin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was cool seeing your Parker on the lake. I'm in the middle of a 22' home build. Once finished, she'll look like Parker and C-Dory had a big baby.

On Sunday you pulled in near us to set up as we were picking up...must've been when you had your accident. We had 12 trout in the box, didn't want any more. Couldn't figure out why you would've pulled out of there so quick. Makes sense now.

Have you researched shaft length for a bow mount trolling motor on the Parker?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was cool seeing your Parker on the lake. I'm in the middle of a 22' home build. Once finished, she'll look like Parker and C-Dory had a big baby.

On Sunday you pulled in near us to set up as we were picking up...must've been when you had your accident. We had 12 trout in the box, didn't want any more. Couldn't figure out why you would've pulled out of there so quick. Makes sense now.

Have you researched shaft length for a bow mount trolling motor on the Parker?
Thanks. He got the hook in his hand after 12pm when we were up towards Massey. However we had planned to head home around that time anyways.

As far as trolling motor shaft, I'm sure I can get by with a 72inch. However if I can get one I'll go for the 87inch ulterra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts