NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the day out by stopping to get gas in Cape Carteret, nice to find non ethanol boat gas in the $3.50 range. One of our guys tried to make small talk with someone else who was gassing up, they said they were going fishing for mermaids. I had no idea mermaids were in season, but I hope that ethanol car gas they were buying got them out to where they were going.

Left Bogue Inlet about 7am with temperatures right at freezing. Pulled the curtains out, snuggled the beanbags up against them, and enjoyed a really nice ride out to warmer water. We were headed out looking for Wahoo, blackfin, and some kings.

Arrived at the first spot and found the bite was as cool as the weather. We were trolling ballyhoo and a large silver drone spoon way way back. The first few hours we picked up some blackfin tunas, and a skipjack, all on the drone spoon. We then decided to head back in toward spot number two.

Spot number two gave us several false albies with one of them being the biggest that any of us have ever seen. We also picked up a 30" king right after the big false albie. We kept seeing fish all over the bottom so we decided to switch over and do some bottom fishing. I was using my butterfly jigs and the other two guys were using cut bait. The action was fast and furious over the next few hours with the following being caught, Smooth Dogfish Sharks, White Grunts, Black Sea Bass, Spot tailed Pinfish, another King (on a butterfly jig), several other bottom dwellers with names that escape me, and a big old fat Cobia that weighed in at 40.90 pounds on Dudley's scale. The Cobia was definitely the highlight of the day and was caught by Will Kastner. He was fishing with cut bait and was pulling in an undersized black sea bass, got him to the top and paused to take off his sweatshirt when the Cobia came from under the boat, missed the BSB, but got the other piece of cut bait that was on the second hook of the bottom rig. It was a 30 minute fight that took him around the boat 4 times. The fisherman and the rod made by EP's Custom Rods were both up to the task.

All in all it was a great day of fishing. Kudos to Captain Dave's Fish Here Maps for putting us on fish again. Kudos also to Captain Chuck Umstead on "Bent Stick". And if anyone happens to catch an 8' shark with a 200gram Shimano butterfly jig hanging out of its mouth, or a big Cobia with a 160gram butterfly jig, I will pay for postage if you would not mind mailing them to me.

Wheel Vehicle Sky Tire Boat
Sky Tire Boat Watercraft Wheel

·
Registered
365 Posts
What A Day! Congrats. Appreciate the report, and I hope you get the jigs.

Quote" ...and the rod made by EP's Custom Rods were both up to the task".

I have two of EP's Custom Rods, and seven custom grips/handles by him. Very skilled workman. Highly Recommend.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ethanol gas is ok, it's leaving it in the tank a long time that causes the real problems. Burn it all! :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good deal on the cobe skipper! And like Sundrop said, car gas is just fine if you burn it out. It's all I use, according to my gauges I've used 2100gals this year and not single issue.

Did you go south or up towards BR for the black fins?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.