NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put in at the pump station (at Yadkin/S Yadkin confluence) Saturday evening about 6 and went upstream looking for bait. Shad were tough to come by, but we eventually put enough in the tank to fish and went a little farther upstream to anchor up in a deep hole and wait for dark. This particular hole didn't yield anything but aggrevation as gar stole bait after bait for nearly an hour. I tried to rig up some rope on the line to snag one but never did have any luck. We pulled up the anchor and went downstream to fish behind some drifts just after dark. These spots were slightly more productive, with my brother catching a channel that would go 4-5 lbs., and me catching one that was close to 10. Unfortunately, that was all they produced and we packed it in just after midnight.

My brother and a few of his friends had went to another spot on the river Friday night and caught about 10 flatheads, but he said the biggest was only around 10 lbs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was on Tillery sat night. Got about 6 flatheads and few blues, nothing over 22lbs. I did catch one big fish, a huge gar. The back on this gar was 5" wide. He gave me hard time right at the boat. This thing was pretty big. I tried gabbing him one time with the gloves but he fell back in the water and broke the line. I really didn't want to bring him into the boat. i did want to get a picture though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's about the same size that's being caught at the upper end of High Rock, lots of Channel's in the 3 and 4 lb range, I've saw one nice Blue caught around 15 - plenty of smaller fish ---- the Gar's are thick, just moved back on the lake after being gone 9 years -- Did they (the gar) have an extremely good spawn one year, can't remember em bein that thick --- they're hittin Crappie jigs on Potts -- they're the reason everything but catfishin's tough up here, all the other fish are afraid to come out from under a log -----

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's about the same size that's being caught at the upper end of High Rock, lots of Channel's in the 3 and 4 lb range, I've saw one nice Blue caught around 15 - plenty of smaller fish ---- the Gar's are thick, just moved back on the lake after being gone 9 years -- Did they (the gar) have an extremely good spawn one year, can't remember em bein that thick --- they're hittin Crappie jigs on Potts -- they're the reason everything but catfishin's tough up here, all the other fish are afraid to come out from under a log -----
I've never seen them in the river this thick. They were rolling as far up and down the river as far as I could see, constantly for probably 2 hours. I was hoping to catch a couple for the table, but never did have any luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.