NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my own two eyes, I seen it, I seen it!!!

I invested a couple of hours this morning throwing bass lures at the sticks in Bond Lake in Cary (Fred G. Bond Metro Park). In the past, I've caught some smallish bass near their ramp, where a creek feeds the lake (northeast corner). Also heard about a couple of nice bass caught recently, so I decided to go check out that creek.

I walked over to the ramp and scanned the water... I saw what looked like a tire sticking up halfway across the bay. Then there was a swirl and THE TIRE SWAM AWAY! :eek:

I've heard folks speak of carp "as long as your arm" in that pond -- This must have been him! His scales must have been an inch, inch-and-a-half across -- they really did look like tire treads! (Legal treads, to boot!)

I've also heard of folks seeing carp down in the southeast end... maybe there's MORE THAN ONE! :eek: Watch your young'n's!!!

(BTW, the sunfish were bedding all over the leeward side of the point on the south end of the lake. And several folks along the dam were hauling in cats one after the other, caught with live crickets.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
My buddy and his wife have been fishing there every other weekend for a few months. They target Bass only and they seem to get one around 3 pounds every trip. Last week she caught a 4.5 on a topwater, and I saw the pic, so I gotta believe it: Bond has some decent bass! Few and far between though from my experience.

Every time I go, we get skunked or get a few dinks. I recommend avoiding the heat and trying within a few hours of dawn or dusk with the top waters, which is what I'll be doing next week. Won't get a ton but ya might get a few nice explosions on the surface!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Z,
You oughtta ask your buddy to let you tag along sometime. Come to think of it, see if you can talk him into showing us both where to find those bass! :D

Besides, he and his wife need NCAngler accounts, don't ya think?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always seem to tag along at the wrong times! I have a little John boat, I might take it down there some time. If I find the fish I'll definitely let you know where.

I know they've fished from shore a lot very close to the boat house. We've caught a few little bass there and I've seen their pics of fish from that spot. I think it's timing more than anything. I'll try to get my buddy to join the site too!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hm... I fish the "beach" across from the boathouse quite a bit, and that creek that feeds in between there and the boat ramp is where I've caught my two small bass... I've been meaning to try the far end of the dam sometime, it looks like there's quite a bit of cover over there. The point along the trail on the south end of the lake is close to my house -- I've gotten some strong strikes down there, but haven't landed anything besides panfish... which are bedding right now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.