NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
That's awful. The pics are bad!!! I think about that alot when I'm washing bait off my hands over the side of the boat..especially in the backwaters...
I can only imagine the pain that poor man is about to endure when they try to reattach the arm...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big gators are naturally more agressive in late summer/early fall. It's better to be aware of your surroundings and not tempt them. Dangling a stringer of fish over the side of a kayak in gator country is not very good.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
What areas are alligator infested?? Or do we need to assume gators are in the water we use?

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Alligators are mainly freshwater dwellers but do they do inhabit brackish water like tidal creeks and rivers. I know there are plenty of them in the Cape Fear around the battleship. I use to see them up in the creeks around Jacksonville when I was growing up, esp. NE creek and the creek off of Piney Green road (can't remember the name). Never seen one down here around Hampstead (don't mean they ain't here, just ain't seen one). NC is the farthest north they inhabit.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One got several of my aunt and uncles puppies just north of the new Lowe's at 210 and 17 about 2 yrs ago more or less. At least that is what I think. About two days after she had told me the last one had disappeared the wildlife guys spotted a 5'er crossing the road out of her driveway. They came home that evening and the wildlife guys told her it was a crocodile but I don't think that was accurate. Possible but not very likely. She swore that was what they said though. I don't think they caught it but they were trying ...LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
This had to be an extremely painful experience. The gator probably grabbed the arm and rolled with it, mostly likely tearing the arm completely out of the socket. I would much rather have my arm bitten off by a barracuda. At least it would be clean and fast. Hopefully he will recover.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Never seen one down here around Hampstead (don't mean they ain't here, just ain't seen one). NC is the farthest north they inhabit.
Mike,

I have seen several huge gators around the 210 bridge from Topsail to Sneads Ferry and around the North Shore golf course. I saw one when I was there last month.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Talk about fear!... Truely horrible for sure.

There are gators in NC!! so definately be aware.. just like watchin out for snakes.

I'm in Sanford and two or three years ago,, I had a estimated between 8 and 12 ft gator in my backyard!!! It came out of the 11 acre pond across the street. Though, they think it was one that someone released into the wild.. dont be fooled, there are gator's about!

The one they caught in the back of my yard, they took and put in the Cape Fear around Fayetteville somewhere,, at least that's what they told me.

Side note: You cannot shoot one neither as it's a protected animal, unless of course it's a life threatning situation. The Harnett Sherriff that responded to our gator call was tempted, but dispatchers radio'd back he had to leave the animal be until wildlife folks showed up.. well 3 day's later.... he shows up in my backyard!! Pretty scary knowing my dogs and kids play in the back... and I would've never thought to be on the look out for a alligator in my neck of the woods.

12 ft gator is no joke,, that man's lucky to be alive. Growing up around gators in Fla,, I'd seen many a "half deer" laying on the bank of a slue and a fat gator basking in the sun not too far from it.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Talk about fear!... Truely horrible for sure.

There are gators in NC!! so definately be aware.. just like watchin out for snakes.

I'm in Sanford and two or three years ago,, I had a estimated between 8 and 12 ft gator in my backyard!!! It came out of the 11 acre pond across the street. Though, they think it was one that someone released into the wild.. dont be fooled, there are gator's about!

The one they caught in the back of my yard, they took and put in the Cape Fear around Fayetteville somewhere,, at least that's what they told me.

Side note: You cannot shoot one neither as it's a protected animal, unless of course it's a life threatning situation. The Harnett Sherriff that responded to our gator call was tempted, but dispatchers radio'd back he had to leave the animal be until wildlife folks showed up.. well 3 day's later.... he shows up in my backyard!! Pretty scary knowing my dogs and kids play in the back... and I would've never thought to be on the look out for a alligator in my neck of the woods.

12 ft gator is no joke,, that man's lucky to be alive. Growing up around gators in Fla,, I'd seen many a "half deer" laying on the bank of a slue and a fat gator basking in the sun not too far from it.
If i am in MY habitat (yard) and it enters MY habitat, I feel threatened!! **BANG!!!** fine me if you like but that rascal is dead! If I'm on,in, near his habitat then he is the boss......

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Mike,

I have seen several huge gators around the 210 bridge from Topsail to Sneads Ferry and around the North Shore golf course. I saw one when I was there last month.
Yup - that's up Breadman's way - they seem to be thicker from Holly Shelter north to the New River, guess 'cause there are a lot of swamps and freshwater in those areas. Again, there is probably a few around Hampstead but the part of Holly Shelter next to Hampstead is the "dry" part - the pine forest sand bluff - and we don't have a large freshwater source like a river or big freshwater creek, so they are certainly less frequent here than up at the middle (area mentioned by Sinkerman) and north end of the Topsail mainland area.

I hope they stay up there too :eek: (no offense intended to the people living there)

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I have seen gators in: The entire Sneads Ferry area, Virginia Creek, Harvey's Drain ditch, one in Bank's Channel at night, all around the Surf city area, one in a creek in Sloop Point behind a buddy's house, BC Bay at night, Jacksonville of course, King's Creek, TA you just havn't seen one in Hampstead yet. Which I see most of them at night on the water. Here is a pic of a 12-16 footer in Becky's Creek. He was shy, so the pic is off in the distance. My parents and grandparents have lived in the Surf City, Holly Ridge, Sneads Ferry areas and say there has never been a shortage of gators. The one in this pic was in the mouth of the the creek, on the edge of the ICW.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Makes me wonder about buying a kayak now. Although the one I'm looking at is 12 feet long and green. :eek:

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
The man probably didn't realize he had the gator "pinned up" and when a gator can't retreat they will attack just like a snake will. Or it could have been with the low water and possibly poor feeding the gator was just too hungry to resist fresh meat. And their is always the chance the guy was being stupid and watched too many Croc Hunter episodes... I would'nt shy away from kayaking because of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.