NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite scent product is Kickin Bass (KnB) - has by far the most potent smell and stays with the bait longer than others I've used. I've caught a more-than-coincidental number of fish on freshly KnB-bathed plastics. I highly recommend it - for anybody with enough room to be careful. The downside is that its messy and stays with more than just the bait. It sticks to whatever it comes in contact with - hands, clothes, boats, etc... Heaven forbid you accidentally get a bit of it on your nose! And unless you just love the smell, you need to triple ziplock it in the garage or tackle box. I found it just too messy and too potent for the tight spaces on the kayak.

I picked up some of the Carolina Lunker Sauce in the gel pen this weekend. Hoping that will be a better form factor for the kayak. I got the crawfish flavor, as I thought the shad scents smelled too plastic-y.

Anybody else out there a Lunker Sauce user? Any other favorite fishing scent products?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Jeff,
Just an idead, what if you took a small ziploc baggie. Like those shallow little snack bags and just smeared a bit of the sauce inside it, then you could dip you bait in the bag and rub the outside of the bag with your fingers to coat the bait. Zip it up and stick it in your vest/shirt pocket? Not enough goo to really make a mess but just enough to give it a stink..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Jeff you would be suprised at all of the eveyday products that people use to scent their baits. I'm sure some work better than others. It didn't take the older generation of bass fishermen to discover that they caught more fish by spraying WD-40 on their lures. Before that Anise oil was the rage. I have a buddy that won several hundred dollars in a carp tournament using Ben-Gay to scent his bait. He did pretty good on the next one using the same. The third one they mostly ignored it so he switched to something else. Sautee some minced garlic in olive oil and try soaking some of your worms and grubs in that. Fresh chicken grease works good. Just never forget the person that fishes where there are few fish, catches few fish, no matter what tactics he uses.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
The oil from a can of sardines is a great scent to use as well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.