NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I have heard that now is a good time to catch big sea bass if you go well off shore. Does anyone have suggestions on where to go leaving from Shallotte Point?

Thanks

Haywood71
Now is a good time for Sea Bass. I'm not that familiar with the waters down your way but I'll give you a few co-ordinates that I do have. However, you don't have to go way off shore to get some nice sea bass, however the bigger ones are usually out further.

AR465 N33 23.395 W78 11.058
City of Houston wreck N33 24.174 W77 42.626
Horseshoe (live bottom) N33 30.071 W77 52.949

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not exactly sure if we're talking about the same place or not but leaving from Lockwood's Folly inlet, there are a few artificial reefs within about 5 miles. We have caught Black Sea Bass at most of these but like TA said, the bigger ones are usually a little farther out. Here are co-ordinates of a few of the close reefs.

AR-440 (Brunswick Reef) N33 49.800 W78 13.080
AR-425 ( Yaupon Reef) N33 53.060 W78 06.520
AR-420 (McGlammerys Reef) N33 51.030 W78 06.590

There is also a listing of aritficial reefs on the NCDMF web site at NCDMF Artificial Reefs

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pretty nice site here and it's free...

Click recent date and hit proceed to map. It pops up a new window where you can look at the left and select "Options" then check the applicable boxes and gives you coordinates for it. Just zoom in to your area, then hit info when you see what your looking for, gives you the coordinates, and I don't even have a boat or live at the beach but this stuff keeps me entertained for awhile.

Free SST Maps - GPS Numbers - North Carolina Offshore Fishing Locations

Just adjust the left column and add

·
Registered
197 Posts
went out of shallotte inlet to the long bay reef last thursday for some bottom fishing.... caught around 30 sea bass all but 3 were under 12" a blue a gray trout and a few robin fish. Seas were calm and the dolphins were out in full display all afternoon. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been catching some nice sea bass around the 210 rock. On a good day it is not a long ride from Cape Lookout or Beaufort inlet. It is somewhere around 20-25 miles out. I tried around the big 10 on Thursday, but couldn't catch anything over 12". I caught several just under (might have been 12", but wasn't worth taking a chance).

Robbie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.