NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming to surf fish Hatteras this weekend. Ive heard the water has been stirred up and there are huge gobs of grass in the surf lately...some are saying the worst in 30 years. Does anyone have a idea if this condition is improving? Does the weather look like things are gonna improve the water clarity. Should I expect certain doom in the foam? If it's too grassy to cast, what will I fish for? I'm dyin here!!!
Andy

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
carpenter--- The constant NE and E winds during the past few weeks along with the storms have blown the normal offshore grass lines onshore. They are predicting high NW winds this weekend. The NW winds should blow the grass back offshore. If not, you're going to have a tough go with your seine. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Carpenter, if those winds come, the area south of cape point will likely clear up first. However sooner or later it will probably cause up welling to occur. This will bring cooler water from the bottom shoreward to replace the water that the wind pushes offshore. Usually this water is pretty murky and it is possible that it might be as bad or worse than trying to fish what is there now. I would think that the strong north west wind would cause the cooler water at Nags Head to migrate south. Not being totally up on the situation I would be inclined to give the folks at red drum tackle or one of the other tackle shops in the area a call and see how they think the weather will affect things. They make their living at the mercy of such events. If the wind was light out of the NW I would say go and take plenty of coolers and plan on south of the point. If the wind really blows you might get into clean water on Frisco pier the first day or two but I really doubt it. This year the wind has been out and back between bad and worse it seems. I'm sorry to sound so dismal and all but I would go ahead and pay for the call to the experts before I got too excited about going. You might get lucky or it might be bad. Usually a strong wind blowing offshore will add sand from the dunes to the water also. Just pray for lt NW wind. AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Just checked the weather and then Georges OBX pages. Noaa says the wind will be out of the north for the next few days and be light and breezy all weekend. (No direction given) . This sounds much better to me. George says the surf is a little choppy but clearing. They had just updated their report when I looked at it. You might want to bring trout tackle and hit the beaches just before sun up if the water is clear. Normally it is an early morning bite for specks. I have a feeling that the water will be at or just below 76 which is about where the pompano leave and the trout move in. You might get a mixed bag along with some spots on the light gear. Bluefish are almost guaranteed. There should be some puppy drum around also. check RDT's site before you leave for an accurate picture of the cape pt. Usually this time of yr. ther is an employee or Two fishing there if anything is going on and some of the other folks around keep them pretty well filled in each day. Good luck . I hope it turns out to be just right. AL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well pomps,trout, and blues mixed would be dandy light action to fill the time between drum for sure. If the grass is too bad, I'm gonna try tandem rod rigs for Kings on the piers and perhaps drop shotting for spots. I'm thinking a trolling weight should shed grass well. I'm beginning to vibrate!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.