NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the great privilege to ride on the bridge of the Second to None with Capt Shane yesterday, and WOW is all I can say. What a great boat and what a great day of fishing! The forecast was for a SW wind at 5-10 in the morning and light and variable in the afternoon. Well let's just say the weatherman missed it again. As we passed the CG station the flag was almost straight out, probably in the 20-25 mph range out of the west. The seas were really sloppy on the way out, and a couple of times while we were running in the pitch black with no moon, Shane turned on the spot light and all you could see was foamy white caps at about 4 feet, but he just cruised out at 24 knots without skipping a beat, great boat and great ride.

We made our way out to the break and had lines in by 7 AM. Shane was talking about the poor fishing on a west wind and how they had not had much luck before noon the last week or so, but it was only 30 minutes later before the first Hoo was in the box. The day was fantastic with lots of action and they finished with 4 Sail Dog's (4 released at the boat, 2 more at the boat on the leader) and 2 good size Hoos. They lost 2 more Sails doing acrobatics, but really finished the day strong, as most of the fleet was barely getting a bite. Shane and Rick really know how to put people on the fish and get them in the boat. Rick is a true animal in the pit and really works the spread all the time.

The best part of the day was when one of the other charter Captains beside him was talking to Shane on the radio about not getting a bite and having seen a Sail in their spread and could not raise it. He tells Shane just come in here behind me and I am sure you will hook him up since he knew Shane had already boated 2 Sails. Shane comes in right behind him and bam, not 30 seconds later the Sail is hooked up and coming to the boat. It was huge! Rick estimated the Sail was well over 100 lbs, and the biggest Sail ever for their boat. As the fish was coming to the boat, 2 more Sails were following the hooked fish in and Rick threw a pitch bait back to them, but could not hook up. What a sight to see 3 Sails at once.

Shane said he is just lucky to have done better than the rest of the fleet, but he and Rick are really good. Great day on the water with a great friend. They have some video that I hope they will post soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey ya'll, just got to the site but I remember that day like it was yesterday. Good god what a ball. I thought it was a rat blue marlin when I brought him to the boat. Words can't describe the mayhem when you have free swimmers next to the hooked fish and trying to tease it off. We had a bunch like it this fall but but none to match that day. You just got to remember, not all offshore trips are that good, despite what we do. Hope to see you again, and thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.