NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 wt TFO Lefty Kreh Pro Series rod and it is currently setup with a Sci Anglers WF 200 grain sink tip line. I want to get a WF Floating line for it for Neuse River trout. Any suggestions? Should I up line to a 6 wt? I'll be tossing crease flies, closers, and small poppers.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
5 wt is probably going to be tough to throw crease flys and poppers of any size. Freshwater trout lines are usually made for light flys, unless it is a streamer specific line. You can get bonefish lines in a 5 wt that would work pretty well. IMO a line like a RIO Freshwater Outbound Short would be your best bet and is available in a 5 wt, pricey though.
I am planning on doing more fly fishing on the Neuse this year, old drum, trout, puppy drum and stripers. Let me know, we can get Stevef and then cover some water together. I have everything from 4 - 11 wt, except for 6 wt.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an 8 wt that works great on the pups but IMO is a little heavy for the trout. The crease flies I have aren't that big. Maybe the size of a 14mr. I will check out the bonefish lines and the other one you mentioned. That definitely sounds like a plan on chasing some fish with the fly rods this year though.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I need to ask what action is the fly rod? If it is a fast action then a 6wt might can be used...overload and it will be fine . If it is a medium action then a 5 wt will be the best bet. I use a med fast action 6wt for Specs. I Have seen this for bigger species but I take a piece of Rainy's round foam and cut it 3/8 to a 1/2 long (3/8s dia) make a hole in the center all the way through and insert a coffee stirrer and cut off. I then insert the leader through the new head and tie an unweighted streamer on , the foam head will slide and connect to the streamer and now popper !! I had three Reds on yesterday at bay River till I had to change to a popping Cork because of a 15 mph plus wind. I caught a 23 to 25 inch Red. I will post this on another post, but this idea works and it is NOT heavy! We need to hook up and wet a line !! TIGHT LINES... Allen

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to ask what action is the fly rod? If it is a fast action then a 6wt might can be used...overload and it will be fine . If it is a medium action then a 5 wt will be the best bet. I use a med fast action 6wt for Specs. I Have seen this for bigger species but I take a piece of Rainy's round foam and cut it 3/8 to a 1/2 long (3/8s dia) make a hole in the center all the way through and insert a coffee stirrer and cut off. I then insert the leader through the new head and tie an unweighted streamer on , the foam head will slide and connect to the streamer and now popper !! I had three Reds on yesterday at bay River till I had to change to a popping Cork because of a 15 mph plus wind. I caught a 23 to 25 inch Red. I will post this on another post, but this idea works and it is NOT heavy! We need to hook up and wet a line !! TIGHT LINES... Allen

I agree about the 5 wt being too light. It's heavy enough to catch trout but most of the flies you'd want to use it won't be able to handle no matter the line you use. Ive vey been using 2 8wts for trout, drum and striper for the last year and a half. I set one up with floating line and one with sinking and it covers every situation on the neuse and trent you'll run into except panfish. As far as line goes i prefer any WF scientific anglers for floating lines.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds great Allen. I think I am seeing what you are describing but will have to check it out to be sure. My 5 wt is a medium fast action. I don't have any trouble casting the crease flies or clousers with the 200 grain sink tip and the wf floating line will be much easier so I am not worried about that. I also have an 8 wt that is setup with wf floating but it is my redfish rod and to me is overkill on specks. I'm a big fish light tackle kind of guy. Your input is much appreciated. I'll be taking it to Joe Schute soon to get the floating line.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'd certainly consider uplining to a 6 (or one of the lines that states it's almost a full line weight heavier...) and I think there are plenty of good options among all the brands. I don't know which brands Joe typically carries. I'd consider a line that specifies it's for bass or redfish so you'll get something with a little shorter front taper and maybe a line profile that focuses more weight in the forward portion of the head of line. Rio Outbound is an example, as is their Mainstream Bass line (a lot of their lines use this design). My personal preference for a lot of situations fresh and salt is the Royal Wulff Triangle Taper lines. They roll cast great at longer distances; and for roll cast "pickups".... and shoot line really well.

The Pro Series II are very popular rods and I would think will handle uplining with no problem.

·
Banned
324 Posts
5wt is no prob for specs although I have worried about hooking a nice drum on it while fishing for them. My TFO Healing Waters will throw a weighted clouser ok but if the wind is behind you...... duck.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I like Allen's idea on the popper head. Sounds very versatile to me. I have an 8 wt, but prefer my 6 wt for trout. I also have a 7 wt that would be better if my arthritis wasn't so bad. I have Scientific Angler WF floating line, and also the Rio. The Rio is a bit better. It just cost twice as much. The Rio can make a big difference in windy conditions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts