NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to make 2 or 3 trips a year down to Jordan when I lived in far north Raleigh and had never really figured anything out to justify the trip. With the striper kill a couple years ago, it took any remaining enthusiasm out. After this little bit of cooler weather I was itching to get out so I made my first ever visit to the Farrington Point boat ramp, which is my closest Jordan launch now that I'm on this side of the triangle.

Farrington is a nice kayak launch - its another of the launches on Jordan with 2 separate sets of ramps. One smaller, more primative/shallow launch (2 ramps) and the larger boat launch (4 ramps, with docks).

My plan was to troll shad raps around the rip-rap along Farrington Rd and check out the depths & see what might be in there. As I was unloading, a tourer came in from his morning paddle and reported a large school of very active surface feeding fish around the 2nd island above the Farrington Rd bridge, but also that it was a long paddle.

I did get one big trolling hookup as I came under the bridge - wild fight and a little different energy than I expect from catfish, bass or striper. Turned out to be a carp, about 3-4 lbs, foul-hooked in the back. I got him to boatside and the hooks popped (fine with me). Within a few paddle strokes of resetting lines, I noticed the other rod tip not behaving in that consistent crankbait throb. Reeled up about the smallest white perch that could get a set of small treble hooks in its mouth. Not sure how long he had been hitch-hiking.

I continued up lake toward the next island - which is about a mile above Farrington Rd. Complete dead zone on that paddle, and nothing interesting on the finder, but I did get a good hookup as I came to the island. It immediately announced itself as a wildly spinning 1lb catfish and left the standard slime trail on my line (thanks, kitty). New total was one foul-hooked carp, one small cat and one tiny white perch - not a banner day yet.

As I paddled around the island, sure enough there was a surface eruption of feeding fish and flying shad in very shallow water - 1-to-2 feet. I changed from the deeper shad raps to some shallow crankbaits and started casting into the boils and hooking up on white perch. After about a dozen fish that way, ranging from 6 to 12 inches, I switched to a rooster tail and lit them up, cast after cast. All white perch and more bait-sized candidates than keeper-sized ones, but probably could have kept a dozen of the bigger ones had I brought a cooler and felt like cleaning. Probably close to 40 of them before I quit. I gave up as the clouds started to break and the fish started to come on every 5th or 6th cast. If anybody wants to dent the white perch population for food, bait or entertainment, head up there.

I only saw 2 or 3 boats up there all day, but could see something(s) man-or-alien-made over in the Morgan Creek bay, to the north and west of the island I was fishing. I paddled over afterward and found at least a dozen of the SolarBee water mixers, which I had not seen before (wral article link). That indicator of low water quality, in addition to the lack of depth or interesting underwater features, is probably not a good motivation for repeat scouting trips up there for me, despite the perch fest.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great report. Thanks for sharing. I'll be heading to Jordan next week for 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
That part of the lake is pretty much no mans land. I have had my moments up there and there are certain times I will fish up that way but I have never really found anything consistant.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Those aren't really pictures he has posted to this thread... they are (or part ) of his signature. I think?.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts