NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of hours on Saturday (sorry for the late post...actually had to go to work) & did some casting & trolling along the banks. Tons of blues and spanish, and there were bait balls everywhere. I didn't hook up with any kings (and didn't see anyone else either) but it was a fun afternoon. When casting the blues were hitting jig heads with shad bodies; the spanish enjoyed the gold clarkspoons.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crappie -

I did try jigging up some live baits on a sibiki rig that day, but had absolutely no luck (with the exception for a small shark). Thus we moved to stickbaits & spoons. Hopefully we'll see some bigger kings in close shortly.

Rockhopper

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I actually had to net some menhaden that day with my net. We caught about 15 menhaden and 1 blue with the net and headed to the reef. We actually had the bluefish on the down rigger and it was hit, but the treble hook on the live bait rig was in its mouth, thus no hook up. When we got the blue into the boat it was very cleanly cut in half and still moving. It was quite the sight to see.
Where were you using the Sabiki Rig? The ICW was crawling with menhaden and should be for some time now. I might be heading down thursday to do some fishing on Friday, if so I'll hit you up with a report.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started jigging just inside the inlet (was marking tons of fish) but no takers. Even threw it several times into a bait ball - nada. Very strange. Then I started jigging it while drifting just off the beaches. Nada. Never dropped a sibiki in the water while marking so many fish and come up empty.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Rockhopper
- The bait did seem to be a little skiddish last weekend. Might have been attributed to the cooler temps last weekend (or friday at least). I caught all my bait right near marinas at about 6 o clock in the morning right when the sun was coming up so the glare wasnt bad and the water was very smooth. Are you doing any fishing this weekend?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
RH, I don't know what you were using but I have found that overall my luck with sabikis is better with 4lb test and as small of a sinker as you can get by with. Some days 12lb line and a 1oz sinker works fine but when they have the hebie jebies you got to go real light.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
RH, I don't know what you were using but I have found that overall my luck with sabikis is better with 4lb test and as small of a sinker as you can get by with. Some days 12lb line and a 1oz sinker works fine but when they have the hebie jebies you got to go real light.
Al - I think you must be talking about shallow water, right? One ounce in 60 feet of water would get you no where fast. IMO - Three ounces works best in deeper water.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sinkerman & Topsail - that day I was using a 3 oz. sinker in 50 ft. of water.

BTW - I fished all day today along the banks - spoons, plugs, casting, jigging, you name it. Baby sharks and one lost mysteryfish was all that came to the boat. Weather wasn't bad, but the fishing sure was.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you can see them and/or if you are down by the beach you certainly would do better with less than one oz and light line. I used to catch plenty of bait off the end of the Coast Guard dock. jigging 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz crappie jigs beside the dolphin. If the menhaden are difficult you might want to try there for small blues etc. but try a sabiki there because that spot can hold anything. as far as needing three oz to keep 4lb test from blowing out my guess is you would be right if the current was above 6 knots. The lighter the line test the less drag you have. I've used 1/2 oz with good results off of the end of Dan Russell Pier in pcb with a decent wind and current going and didn't have any problem. That is about 20' off the water and about 25' deep. Trust me and try going light. It can make the difference between bait and no bait. The fish don't have to see your line they can feel the vibrations emanating from it well before they see it. (sorta like a guitar string)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I think we are talking apples and oranges here. My apologies for not being clear. After rereading the posts, I see he was in shallow water - Only time I've ever used a sabiki in shallow water is for Spanish on the piers so I have no experience there.

All my sabiki rigs are on leaders of 4# test. I was thinking the ocean in 50 plus feet of water when I answered. Two whole different application I would imagine.

If I'm marking bait pods on the bottom with the sonar - the sabiki almost always comes up full of fish using 3 ounces of weight. You would have to wait a long time for one ounce or less to get to the bottom, then you would have so little weight to stretch the 50 to 80 feet of mono you wouldn't get the action you seek.

One thing to keep in mind - the sabiki is baitless - the fish react to the flash of the gold hook (some do have a bit of dried fish skin on them for smell) - maybe they don't work as well in the inlet and under certain conditions in the waterway if the water is murky? Again - no experience here on that part - just a thought.

BTW - I do sometimes use less weight if I'm throwing into a surface bait pod with the sabiki and keeping it shallow.

Sorry for any confusion.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have found that if I tip a couple of the hooks with a nibble of shrimp it causes a better reaction...once they hit they keep hitting. I've also noticed I seem to get larger baits this way..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.