NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made the trip from the main land across to Shakleford Banks in the kayak? It deosn't look to be more than 3 miles or so from the maps I have so distance-wise it should not be a problem. I'd like to see if anyone here has made the trip before setting out to do it this spring.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i haven't done it, but seen others do it in canoes. you could launch from the taylor's creek ramp and stop by the middle marshes for a break from the traffic, wind or just to fish. where do you plan to launch? i have paddled to and all around the middle marshes in my yak from taylor's creek -- have about a 1 mile paddle across open water; just have to watch for boat traffic.

// joel

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I haven't given much thought as to where to launch from...I guess that's one of the reason why I wanted to check and see who else has done it before. Is the Taylor's Creek ramp condusive to kayak launches? If you could pass along more information on the rap, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Taylor's creek is in Beaufort, protected by Carrot Island. I would say kayak friendly - 2 paved ramps, gravel parking. I've paddled around the north end and fished the outside of carrot. I think the middle marshes are on the south end of the island. Shackleford is within view from the outside of the island.

Here's a link to a boat ramps post on it:
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f84/taylor-s-creek-beaufort-3422.html

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
here's a map of what i had in mind. launch from taylor's creek, head to middle marshes, then work along that marsh until you reach their south
edge, at which point you head across to shackleford.

haven't worked the inside/north edge of shackleford -- i do recall fishing a dock on the west side (from a boat). any other interesting structure to fish along the island?

are there designated camping areas? any area better than another for that?

// joel

Attachments

Reactions: garyxian

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
There is a dock on shackleford and also a rock jetty. I've fished there before but usually, when i have fished there ive hooked up with undersized trout. The dock and the rock jetty are right next to each other. Besides those two things, the west side is pretty uneventful, except perhaps fishing at the point near the inlet.

On the east end of the island there are a series of marshes, creeks, deeper holes, etc. I've never fished there but it defenitely looks like it would be kayak friendly. Check it out on google earth and you can look around that whole area and just check it out.

On a side note, if you go fishing down there and there is a north wind, be extremely careful. If you decide to put in at taylors creek (which would be your best choice) coming out of taylors creek into north river might be kinda gutsy on a kayak during a hard north wind. . I'm not saying it cant be done but you would almost guaranteed get wet.

In my opinion on a high tide you could put in at taylors creek, paddles to carrot island, drag your kayak maybe 100-150 feet put back in in the marshes back there and paddle straight to shack. Hope this helps, anymore questions feel free to ask. Tight lines and happy fishing :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
JoeB; I have just moved back to the area and have thought of making the same trek to Shackleford. I am hoping to get out that way next weekend if this wind dies down. I'll let you know.

I do know that flounder gigging behind Carrot Island is incredible.

Good luck if you get to it before me...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JoeB; I have just moved back to the area and have thought of making the same trek to Shackleford. I am hoping to get out that way next weekend if this wind dies down. I'll let you know.

I do know that flounder gigging behind Carrot Island is incredible.

Good luck if you get to it before me...
I'm sure you'll be checking it out before me, as I'm not getting back from deployment unitl mid-May.:( Lokoing at Google Earth, the south side of Carrot Island is looking mighty fishy as well...definately will be checking this out ASAP.:D

·
Registered
369 Posts
JoeB, Thank you for your Service! Hurry back safely, and let me know when you make it back and if you want to attack this together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone made the trip from the main land across to Shakleford Banks in the kayak? It deosn't look to be more than 3 miles or so from the maps I have so distance-wise it should not be a problem. I'd like to see if anyone here has made the trip before setting out to do it this spring.
A friend and I canoed to Shackleford from Calico Jack's Inn on Harkers Island. It is about three miles but there is usually a strong wind coming from the south. It took us well over two hours with two people paddling into the wind but it was well worth the trip. There are lots of sandbars and shallow points to rest and eat, but if you stop paddling in open waters the wind and current will take you backwards. On the bright side, It took us less than and hour to paddle back with the elements on our side. I will definitly do it again. The island is beautiful and if you have the patience to stand still for an hour or two the wild horses will come investigate you. Awesome!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm making the trip out next week weather permitting. The Beaufort boat ramp is probably the best spot to start from. On the weekends it is packed with boaters and some are less patient with kayaks than others, but its usually not a problem.

If you didn't want to go around Carrot Island, at high tide you can actually cut right through the center at deep creek and have a clear shot straight across to Shack. Good fishing on the way out too...

Mr Raycroft - what's up brother, long time no talk, where ya been???

·
Registered
74 Posts
I made that paddle last Fall, but I launched from Harker's Island. You can park at the HI visitor center, at the east end of the island. There is a little ditch across the street from the visitor center, facing Shack. Banks This is a great place to set up your yak, and it is literally a few feet off the end of the road.
I made the paddle across in less than an hour, but i timed it with an outgoing tide.
The parking is very secure, but you have to wait for the visitor center to open- I think it opens at 8:00.
There aren't any really good camp sites on the west end of Shackleford, unless you want to haul your stuff to the south side of the island.
I ended up paddling over to Cape Lookout. BEWARE of boat traffic if you decide to cross over to CL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.