NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Boat trailer Vehicle Plant community

Ok so this is my boat. Not the best picture but it is a Guide Special V16 Bass Tracker, tiller drive. 35 hp. I want to take the family camping on Shackleford banks. How could I get there with this boat, 2 adults, 3 kids age 4, 6, and 15 plus camping gear and fishing stuff? I looked on google earth and I know there is a new ramp just before radio island but I have no experience crossing the inlet and have heard some pretty horrific horror stories. Is there a public ramp in Beaufort, Carrot Island area that I can navigate protected water to get to the island? I want to camp and fish/swim on the sound side.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found it. Looks like a decent ride to the island. How is Taylor's creek for fishing? Trout, drum, flounder? Looks scenic enough to keep the wife happy while I fish. She's not big on Slocum and Hancock.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've always wanted to camp in those live oaks. From the Beaufort boat ramp head over to Shak and just to the left are the best spots. There's a really strong rip around back of the island at the inlet. Great spot to find spanish/blues/albacore/whatever. Probably the easiest way to fish it is to beach the boat and fish from shore. Stingsilvers are all you need there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea my plan was to camp and surf fish mostly. When I was younger I remember me and my dad drifting back and forth from one end to the other catching flounder. I remember the water depth going up and down on the flasher whenever we drifted over a bar or slough. Caught lots of flounder too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
you can launch at the high rise and be there in about 5min. Stay to the left going out and you will be fine. I have seen bass tracker 16, 12ft jons with trolling motors, and even rubber 10footers do that. You will know once past Radio Island if its calm enough. Thats where the rip currents start to make waves. Most boat traffic run the channel on the right. Don't get me wrong though, it can get darn right ugly behind Shak real fast with wind and boat traffic. You will be able to cross the flats in that boat without a problem. Once you get past Radio shoot straight across. Last time I was there, the middle before the jetty had a sharp drop off from the bank. Closer to the inlet had a more gradual slope going into the water. And yes the current will rip through there so make sure you anchor good or pull the boat up good and place an anchor on the beach. Should be pretty empty now that school is back in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.