NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Where's Pitch Kettle?

Pitch Kettle refers to Pitchkettle creek at the spot where it meets the Neuse River above New Bern near places called Cow Pen Landing and Pine Tree Creek.

Pitch Kettle joins the river where there is a "T" in the river. The currents are interrupted by the 90 degree turn and causes water to flow in two directions. This confuses the fish thus they take refuge in the creek. The shad stack up there and then the stripers come in and clean up.

Google Map: Pitch Kettle Landing, Vanceboro, NC 28586

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pitch kettel creek is close to Vanceboro NC off river road. cowpen landing is about the closes launch. but starting around the first two weeks of march Weldon NC. on the roanoke really starts to turn on for some fantastic shad fishing

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Firebug, it is northwest of Cowpen Landing, upriver. Here's directions form New Bern and a map:

Traveling on NC 43 from New Bern, turn left onto River Road at the Weyerhaeuser Plant stop light. Continue on River Road for about 9.3 miles and turn left at Pitchkettle Landing sign (private dirt road)

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Talked to some guys today that fished Spring Garden area Sunday and struck out. Just a few yellow perch.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
i fished for a couple of hours this afternoon at the mouth of the contentnnea and had zero luck. Water was very muddy and surface temp of 49 degrees . There were several other boats there and none were caught in the two hours I was there.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Scott, I've walked down to the old wildlife landing on the highway 70 bypass a couple of times, just to see if anyone were catching shad. About a week ago, I saw some caught on the opposite side, but not many. I went a couple of days ago, and saw no one catch any at all. One guy did have one on for about 3 sec, but that was it.
All I can do for now is to watch. I hope to get some of these bandages off my hands today.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.