NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here so let me first say hello. I must have joined a long time ago and forgot about it so when I tried to join today I realized I was already a member....

Anyway, I am wanting to catch some shad for catfish and striper bait and really don't know where to start. I have a 1436 jon with 15 hp, depth finder and cast net...and livewell. I just don't know how to go about finding the shad. Finding them in the summer isn't all that hard but this time of year...I'm lost. Lakes I am wanting to catch them in are High Rock, Oak Hollow Lake and Belews. Any help you all could provide would be great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and the tips. Is there a particular depth or temp that the shad tend to hold in this time of year or is it pretty much the same as summer...look for them flippin on the surface??? Just need some good tactics for this time of year so I can limit my time catchin bait and maximize my time tryin to catch fish. Are there any local lakes around High Point (within 45 min drive) that you can access (legally :)) the areas below the dams to catch them???

BTW: I'm aware of the issues with transferring bait from one lake to another...I plan to catch bait and fish in the same area to maximize fishin time and fish with fresh bait anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Shad Tank"...kinda. I have a 165 qt cooler with a "Keep Alive" 1100 gph aerator/pump with filters. I have heard of people catchin shad at the aerators in Oak Hollow but the water is 20' deep or so out there. All I have is a 7' (diameter...not radius) cast net. Would that really catch shad in 20' of water??? Or do I need to invest in a bigger/heavier cast net???

I greatly appreciate the help I am getting here and will return the favor any time I can.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Welcome back

Man I was about to jump all over this thread and talk shad fishing, you threw me for a loop with the other type of shad. I was looking for Hickory or American shad coming out of the ocean and into the rivers of Eastern NC to spawn.

20 foot of water you will need a lot of weight 1.5 pounds per foot to make it deep and catch fish. also and extension on the regular line that is on the cast net.

I have never done this, most of my cast netting is for finger mullet in 1-3 foot of water.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have heard of guys catchin so many shad in one cast they can hardly lift the net in the boat out in that 20' deep water but have no idea what kind of cast net they are using....

Hey Hobbs, you a skydiver???? We jump at Reaford as much as we can...when the weather is nice.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
JC, a 7' net will catch them. And by the way, the water is deeper than 20' in some places at the bubbles. As Scott said, get you an extention to the rope that is already on the net and you'll be able to reach on down there to them. I have caught shad with a 6' net in 30' of water with 1lb. of weight per foot of net on Jordan without a problem. I went to an 8' net this year and it does make catching them a little quicker/easier. I had a 54qt cooler/"shad tank" that worked fine for a day of keeping shad, but they wouldn't live till the next day. I finally broke down and got a 25 gallon Greyline shad tank. It works great.

I have posted this question on several boards (including this one) and always got very little responce. I don't know if it's due to a lack of general knowledge on the subject or everyone just keeping their secrets on this to themselves.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
jcmilks........I haven't done any skydiving (D11421) in quite a few years. I was a Military Freefall Instructor (MFFI175) back in 85-89 when the school was still at Bragg.

There is a few guys that I know that hang out at Raeford, the Thacker boys, Timmy, and then Randy Matthews, MuggO--can't think of his real name.

Some more I'm sure.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Welcome to the site. I am TERRIBLE with a cast net and I just bought an 8ft so I can really screw up!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info fellas. MG, nice to know it is possible to catch them in deep water with a smaller net. I'll prob give it a try tomorrow to see if I can catch some to save for cut bait. I'll let you guys know how I do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went out Sat to the dam below Tuckertown Res and tried to catch some. The water was flowing out pretty strong under the dam. I caught a bunch of small shad, about 2.5 inches long, and gave them to some guys that were fishing. I was looking for the big ones...about 5+ inches long. I'm still on the quest for some big shad and will be happy to post up when I find them...unless someone here let's me know where to find them and asks me to keep it on the hush.:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
JC I went w/ a gentleman just recently to Oak Hollow and he showed me around a bit. He told me once the temps come up the Shad will be in those bubble lines but he caught shad on the shady side of the centennial bridge just west of hwy 311. Hope this helps ya a lil...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah Tubb that might help. I'll give that place a shot the next time I'm out there. I certainly appreciate the help. Was the guy marking them with a fishfinder to catch them or could you see them in the water???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.