NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a spot in the Neuse drainage basin yesterday. Hooked and lost 3 shad. Cleaned the reels this morning and tried again from 4-7pm this evening. Hooked 5, lost #2 and handed #5 off to a kid who got to catch his first shad. #5 turned out to be a hickory, #1 #3 #4 were White shad. Nows the time, I'm headed back tomorrow. Go get em

Vertebrate Smile Fish Fisherman Ray-finned fish
Smile Sleeve Fish Fin Ray-finned fish
Smile Sleeve Vision care Fish Ray-finned fish
Sports uniform Smile Sports jersey Jersey Sleeve

Pics are edited not because I care about the spot but because somebody might and I don't mean to broadcast it or step on any toes. Just do some research and anyone can find it

Note: About 10-15 other shad fisherman came by during those 3 hours. None even so much as hooked any. They ALL either only stayed for 30 mins and left or the ones who stayed the whole time spent more time trying every color combo in their box than they did casting a jig. Pick 2 colors you know shad like and throw them... 1 color on the top jig and 1 on the bottom. Doesnt matter if you dont get bit, keep casting. Tight lines

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Tried again today. No hits
That UNC education has already started paying off. Glad to see you are not following that crazy old man from Burlington around to gar holes and have found some hot spots with gamefish. Tell him you really caught them all on "shad colored" Rattin' Rogues. That should make for a good laugh around supper tables all over Eastern NC this month. I just feel bad for the dog. He'll never live it down with his Lab home boyz when word gets out his boss was throwing shad to catch shad.:D

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think the night glow thing is a good idea. The shad aren't trying to eat what you are using they are trying to kill it or drive it off so anything they see as a threat they will attack.

Reactions: Fireyakker

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Aki, lots of reports today around Goldsboro of lot of shad catches. The Neuse around Goldsboro is still out of the banks but is suppose to fall 5 feet in the next few days. So a lot of bank sections will open up.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Going back later this morning. Sunday marks the end of spring break and with it the end of my time fishing for a while. Fished 7 of the last 7 days for crappie to shad, racking up 1400 miles total (not including a trip with mack).Heading back one more time to catch a few last American shad hopefully.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Going back later this morning. Sunday marks the end of spring break and with it the end of my time fishing for a while. Fished 7 of the last 7 days for crappie to shad, racking up 1400 miles total (not including a trip with mack).Heading back one more time to catch a few last American shad hopefully.
good luck and thanks again for the tank of gas......going there Wednesday hopefully.

Reactions: FishinCary
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.