NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Harris today. Wind was blowing right into the ramp. No bass today but I did catch a dozen white perch of which 2 were good for a pound or better. And then there was the channel cat. Had to have been about 18". All were caught on an ultralight rattle trap. No hits on anything else.

Met a couple of kayak fishermen and saw a bunch more. Reports from whom I talked to were not good.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying to remember when it was I was there last. Long enough to remember there were woods all the way to the ramp and the road was not paved.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the white perch good eating? In Maine they are welcome fodder. Especially when the guide cooks them for the bankside dinner(Lunch).

It's kinda hot. Maybe they might be better when it's colder?

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I have heard they are quite tasty.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
They are excellent table fare. I was raised eating panfish scaled, gutted, head off, bone in. If you don't have an aversion to eating fish that way, there are a lot more keepers (ones that are a little small to get much out of if you only fillet).

The last time I was there, I also caught one on a UL lipless crank and also a twisty tail grub on a steady retrieve. They seem to like to attack swimming things.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not try any small plastics. I bet a beetle spin would work well. And there was another guy using a bobber and worm I think. When in Maine we use allot of crawlers.

And they are not everywhere. On Grand lake they had not been catching many. In two weeks I ran into some one evening and kept half a dozen for dinner. I caught a couple singles also. But that was it.

I guess I will keep a few one day and check them out.

mikeski

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.