NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I had asked about boating in this area before with a small boat and 2hp motor. Well.... I'm actually about to step up to a nice 14' Jon with a 9.9.... Should this be sufficient? Again... No plans for open water but would love to explore the inlet and possibly the icw. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
It's a good area to fish my parents used to have a place down that way. Wish they still did caught a lot of flounder down there. Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
You should be fine in that boat in the Shallotte river and in the ICWW. The conditions in the inlet itself change quickly, and like all inlets it can be dicey. The west side of the inlet is pretty deep even near the shore and depending on which way the swell is coming it can be somewhat protected and calmer. The east side near the ICWW gets shallow and can get rough when the tide is pulling. The east side out towards the ocean a little further gets deep and a little calmer. The center towards the northeast is shallow and rips hard when the tide is pulling, stay away from that area. Obviously pay attention to the conditions and stay alert and you will probably be ok to poke around the inner part of the inlet, have your pfd handy. I've been catching large whiting on shrimp around the inlet last few weeks, got a pompano a few weeks ago, also blues, croakers and spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts