NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... Anyone have any experience fishing shallotte inlet/creek area? I have a small boat and looking to explore this area. Any advice about how strong the tides are in the area and what type of fishing to be expected? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
300 Posts
A lot of people have success and I have gotten a guide about every year for the last few years. There are flounder for sure and a lot of bluefish.

The tide is definitely super important. In my opinion, early in the morning like 5-7am and later at night like 7-9 pm is the only time to go (unless the tide is really high in the middle of the day). Other times of the day with the tide really low just beach your boat and get out a beach chair for a nap.

There are reds/trout but you gotta find em and there are black drum which you just kid of run into (which I guess is true all the time anywhere).

·
Registered
118 Posts
A lot of people have success and I have gotten a guide about every year for the last few years. There are flounder for sure and a lot of bluefish.

The tide is definitely super important. In my opinion, early in the morning like 5-7am and later at night like 7-9 pm is the only time to go (unless the tide is really high in the middle of the day). Other times of the day with the tide really low just beach your boat and get out a beach chair for a nap.

There are reds/trout but you gotta find em and there are black drum which you just kid of run into (which I guess is true all the time anywhere).
That is where i live at Shallotte river offers awesome flounder trout and drum fishing. The tide at the mouth of the shallotte river runs super hard there is also sandbars at the mouth that you have to be aware of. As far as the tide being important from lockwood folly to tubbs inlet shallotte included. These 3 places are NOT tide sensitive. There is alot of guides that will use the excuse about the tide afffecting the fishing. That is not the case here. you fish it just like everywhere else is the tide is high fish the marsh grass lines ones it starts to fall look for deeper water, ledges pot holes boat docks. The red drum and trout are stacked but you gotta work to find where there schooling at and well for flounder it is the most targeted fish this time of year and they are everywhere.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on a small boat with a 2hp motor... I'm not planning on going anywhere near the mouth/inlet but looking to launch at Hughes and stay in that area or up stream. Should I be OK with my 2hp and trolling motor? I only have a 6" draft.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If i was you i wouldnt launch at the point your talking about i would launch at lyod millikens fish house honestly either spot the tide is going to be rushing pretty good you might be better to launch up under sunset beach bridge and fish tubbs and behind sunset the tide isnt as strong there

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'd suggest staying away from Shallotte with only 2 HP. The launch under Sunset Beach Bridge may be your best bet. Run the creek right across on the other side of the bridge. The next to last right ~~ there is a deep hole. Lots of side trips down their. Flounder, trout, reds, and more. Less current and traffic. Be careful out there.............

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would you guys think about little river around calabash and upstream from the hurricane fleet area? I remember throwing a cast net as a kid and filling up buckets with shrimp from those docks! Is the current/tide too strong in that area?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd suggest staying away from Shallotte with only 2 HP. The launch under Sunset Beach Bridge may be your best bet. Run the creek right across on the other side of the bridge. The next to last right ~~ there is a deep hole. Lots of side trips down their. Flounder, trout, reds, and more. Less current and traffic. Be careful out there.............
Are you taking about Blane creek/bird island area?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Calabash river is where your talking about thats another spot that the tide rushes in. honestly your best bet if you put in at sunset beach bridge go to the left in Jinks creek, cooter creek and all that there real good fishing in there and also if your putting towards sunset beach bridge go in the creek to the right of the bridge

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is where i live at Shallotte river offers awesome flounder trout and drum fishing. The tide at the mouth of the shallotte river runs super hard there is also sandbars at the mouth that you have to be aware of. As far as the tide being important from lockwood folly to tubbs inlet shallotte included. These 3 places are NOT tide sensitive. There is alot of guides that will use the excuse about the tide afffecting the fishing. That is not the case here. you fish it just like everywhere else is the tide is high fish the marsh grass lines ones it starts to fall look for deeper water, ledges pot holes boat docks. The red drum and trout are stacked but you gotta work to find where there schooling at and well for flounder it is the most targeted fish this time of year and they are everywhere.
Where are they this time of year? I fished Shallotte River yesterday, couldn't buy a bite from a game fish. Fished from the ICW to 5 miles up the river before I hit a sandbar and was beached for 20 mins. Had, live shrimp, pogies, mullet, gulp, BUCKTAILS, you name it. Was a lot of fresh water though. Pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fishing has been tough since all this rain but they are still there best thing would be fish the docks from the inlet all the way to the concrete wall and all the docks on the left side going in shallotte river alot of fish are on the flats but I wouldn't advise fishing them unless you are familiar with the area

·
Registered
2 Posts
We will be staying right next to the shallotte inlet next week. I will not have a boat. Is there any descent shore fishing right there or should I not bother bringing equipment. Any advise will be very appreciated. I don't want to go to piers to fish as I wouLd prefer to walk from the house to fish. I will have a kayak that I can fish out of if that is feasible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any advise would be very appreciated. I am trying to decide whether or not to try to pack gear for our trip next week. Thank in advance for you time and advise.

We will be staying right next to the shallotte inlet next week. I will not have a boat. Is there any descent shore fishing right there or should I not bother bringing equipment. Any advise will be very appreciated. I don't want to go to piers to fish as I wouLd prefer to walk from the house to fish. I will have a kayak that I can fish out of if that is feasible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How safe would it be to launch a kayak from the bridge or near the bridge on Hwy 130 there in Shalotte during high tide and fish as the tide goes out all the way back down to Ocean Isle beach, not going into the ocean but staying in the intercoastal waterway? If it's safe enough to do, what would be the best time of year? Anyone fish with flukes down there? I do a lot of smallmouth bass fishing where I live and a fluke is awesome and can be fished a few different ways. Just wondering if they are used there any and if so what color? Thanks for any help or advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts