NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST GOT BACK AND WAS ABLE TO LAND ONE 18" FLOUNDER FIRST THING THIS AM AND THE REST OF THE DAY WAS DOWN HILL. THE WIND WAS BLOWING THE WATER WAS CHOPPY(SP) CAUGHT ONE RED AT A WHOLE 12" AND PUT IT BACK:) HOOKED SEVERAL MORE FLOUNDER, BUT COULD NOT GET THEM IN THE BOAT. I GET SO EXCITED WHEN ONE BITES THE BAIT THAT I DO NOT GIVE THE FLOUNDER ENOUGH TIME TO TAKE THE HOOK. ONE DAY I WILL LEARN. A MAN AT TRIPPS BOAT RAMP TOLD ME THAT AS SOON AS YOU FEEL THE FISH HIT YOUR LINE TO OPEN THE BAIL AND COUNT TO TWENTY AND THEN SET THE HOOK. THERE WERE NOT THAT MANY BOATS FISHING THE SHALLOTTE INLET OR RIVER. WE USED MUD MINNOWS THE WHOLE DAY,EITHER TROLLING OR CASTING. I DID HOOK UP WITH SOMETHING ON 40# BRAIDED LINE THAT BROKE THE LINE AND KEPT ON GOING.
ALL IN ALL I HAD A GOOD DAY JUST BEING ON THE WATER WITH MY BRIDE OF 27 YEARS...BEST 1ST. MATE I EVER HAD!!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thanks for the report, 18' flounder is a good eating size! The man told you right - if using a minnow - you gotta wait! Old timers use to say, light a cigarette, smoke it and when you put it out set the hook....lol.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You are on the right track. It justs takes a little patience when you are flounder fishing. Even then you will lose a lot of them at the boat without a net. Have the first mate just hold the net still just a few inches underwater and lift up when the flounder is over it. You want to keep from spooking them. Most are lost either on the hookset or at the top of the water beside the boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.