NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Got In From The Point And The Best I Could Do Was A Very Good Suntan. I Did Manage To Put Three Red Fish In The Boat 12" To 15" And Were Caught On Mud Minnows. To Start The Day Off When We Got To Tripps Boat Ramp The High Tide Was Above The Boat Ramp And Running Up On The Ground Or What Would Be The Parking Lot...have No Idea Why It Was This Way. And When The Tide Turn To Go Out I Have Never Seen Such A Rush Of Water Leaving The Icw. This A.m. I Did Throw A Electric Chicken Shad And Got Two Hits With It And When I Reeled In The Back 1/3 If The Bait Was Gone. Have Been Told That The Flat Fish Will Eat Them Up But Not Today. There Was More Bait On The Water Than The Law Allows, But I Did Not Try For Any.
Very Few People On The Water Made Me Think That We Were Not Suppose To Be Out There Today. Oh Well There Will Be A Next Time.

On The Water In The Boat Is Always Better Than Any Day Working Ncdoc.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Full moons and new moons bring higher and lower tides. Lots more fish feed at night during full moons when it is bright out. This usually has a negative effect on the fishing during the day. The days leading up to a full moon are generally better than the days after. No guarantees that it will work out that way every time. Wind and clouds come into play as well as a host of other factors. You never know unless you go. Just when you think you have it all figured out something will change your mind. That's a good thing for fish and fishermen alike.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Just Got In From The Point And The Best I Could Do Was A Very Good Suntan. I Did Manage To Put Three Red Fish In The Boat 12" To 15" And Were Caught On Mud Minnows.
Phil, did you catch or buy the Mud Minnows? If catch, do you use a scoop net or a cast net? I think all we got in the cast net on Tuesday was mullet and pinfish. I liked the smaller size of the mud minnows I could see roaming around the really shallow & nasty stuff, but wasn't sure how I could net them up.

.... Lots more fish feed at night during full moons when it is bright out. This usually has a negative effect on the fishing during the day...
Makes me feel a little better about all the fish we did NOT catch in Swansboro on tuesday!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Had To Buy The Mud Minnows. Just Now Has I Came In The Front Gate Of The Prison That I Work At I Was Talking To A Man Who Is A Real Old Salty And He Gave Me The Low Down On The Moon And The Tide...sorta Made Me Feel Real Stupid.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey Phil, Don't feel too bad drove down to Wrightsville yesterday ICW I'm the only body I know who can put the boat in at the ocean and get stuck in too little water. Too much traffic at that spot will try going down toward Shalotte Southport area next time.

But me and the wife had a good day anyway.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Hey Phil, Don't feel too bad drove down to Wrightsville yesterday ICW I'm the only body I know who can put the boat in at the ocean and get stuck in too little water. Too much traffic at that spot will try going down toward Shalotte Southport area next time.
"Man who has not put his boat on the shoals, has not spent much time around coastal NC's shifting sands". Quote by a not to be named Captain and Fishing guide - well actually several.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.