NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's crazy!! That was a huge red! Hey, would there be a way you could tell me what rig and bait you were using??

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
Great fish sorry for both of you that you only got half of it in. Glad you got the video.

Darrell

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh haha... Ok. Anyone got any tips on rigs and bait for surf fishing? I always have issues with my bait falling off either due to pinfish or the waves

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Video Oct 2013.
Cheap outfit, way to limber for any decent size slot Red. Never mind a Bull Red.
Wrong rig, double hook bottom rig with hooks that were to small. Could have been avoided. …. ICM

·
Registered
360 Posts
Video Oct 2013.
Cheap outfit, way to limber for any decent size slot Red. Never mind a Bull Red.
Wrong rig, double hook bottom rig with hooks that were to small. Could have been avoided. …. ICM
I'm trying to understand your post. He hooked that red and had the leftovers landed within a minute and a half of grabbing the rod. Is that really too slow of a landing? The shark taking a share seems pretty random, no matter the rig. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Odd video. He knows he is on video, but walks out of frame to the right. The camera pans to the right, so it is being operated, but it doesn't follow him. Then he comes back into the frame with the fish. It is obviously alive and whatever happened off camera just happened. Just odd...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
You may be right. At the end he seems to think it is still aimed higher. The timing of when it starts to move is highly coincident with him moving and in the same direction, which is what made me think panning at first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, so that fish looked like it was going to be over the slot but after it was bit by the shark it was in slot. How do you go about measuring a fish thats been bit off like that, just measure to the nose to the end of whats left and if its in the slot its legal?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think what ICM was alluding to was the guy was a bit under gunned for a fish that size. With a bit more backbone to the rod/reel he might of had a chance to get him in faster before the shark could get him. Although I have a Penn Fierce combo like that and have pulled many upper/over slot fish on the beach w/ it, but not that big. The rig he was using was a bit unconventional for drum but who knows what he was fishing for. I also found it a shame seeing him put his reel in the sand

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ok, so that fish looked like it was going to be over the slot but after it was bit by the shark it was in slot. How do you go about measuring a fish thats been bit off like that, just measure to the nose to the end of whats left and if its in the slot its legal?
Not sure about SC, but in NC this how the law handles that. I assume it's similar in SC:

"No one may possess aboard a vessel or while engaged in fishing any fish subject to limits without head and tail attached, except for alewife and blueback herring used for bait provided not more than two fish per boat/operation may be cut at any one time"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure about SC, but in NC this how the law handles that. I assume it's similar in SC:

"No one may possess aboard a vessel or while engaged in fishing any fish subject to limits without head and tail attached, except for alewife and blueback herring used for bait provided not more than two fish per boat/operation may be cut at any one time"
Thanks, that answers that...never had that happen to me good to know the rule.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts