NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Rural America is much different than living in incorporated or urban areas.
Firearms are a tool just like a hammer is out here.

A policeman and a deputy sheriff carries a firearm for their protection. So do I.
Law enforcement can't protect and serve when they are 5 minutes out much less 30 minutes out.

One of my favorite sections of the Cape Fear river I had a game warden ask if I was armed. I said yes sir I was.
He said the reason he asked is because if I wasn't he was going to highly suggest I leave that area. Too remote to be unarmed in that environment.

·
Registered
444 Posts

A policeman and a deputy sheriff carries a firearm for their protection. So do I.
Law enforcement can't protect and serve when they are 30 minutes out.
Mmmm k. I can understand certain situations where a handgun would be helpful, not sure kayaking meets that criteria

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

Law enforcement can't protect and serve when they are 5 minutes out much less 30 minutes out.
Also, when Feral hogs, wild dogs, and snakes are a part of every day life, it's best to be prepared. Believe me, I live five minutes from DR I know how it is. Also, deterrent trumps defense every time.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Mmmm k. I can understand certain situations where a handgun would be helpful, not sure kayaking meets that criteria
It's the ideal situation to be armed.
Many places that are remote in nature have limited cell service for one. There are also bad people on the water too just as they are on land. You have to be very aware in very remote locations. There are places I won't fish armed or unarmed because of the people that frequent the area. I just don't go to those places.

There is also rabid animals. I've shot my share.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being armed. It's part of being prepared. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and wish I had it. What happens everywhere else to other people could just as easily happen to you or your family.

I may well be a victim one day but it's not going to be for lack of trying not to be one.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you were in a kayak with an angry great white, you'd wish you had a gun
Maybe, but if you were in a falling jet would you not wish you had a parachute? Anyway not wanting an argument, was just astonished...I've lived in "rural America" most of my life and I own firearms...IMHO just don't see the need for a .45 on a kayak

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If I lived in Johnston Co. I'd carry. If I had to go down to Brogden I'd carry a shotgun. :D
As a local, I'm not comfortable at either of those boat ramps on the Neuse. Far too remote and easily accessible for the criminal element. Seen some of what goes on down there. Was approached by two men one night I have all faith in knowing they were intending to rob me until they saw where my left hand was. On the butt of a pistol. Their intimidating posture suddenly changed and they tried to play it off with small talk.

Places like that you can get knocked over the head, robbed, and thrown in the river.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
It is not often that I am more than a few steps from a gun. Often only a few fingers. If you are out anywhere alone, on the water or off, this day and age, you need to be protected. The average response time in the city for 911 is 4 minutes, much more in the country.
My response time is 950 fps ( feet per second) If I carrying light. around 1200 fps if you're gonna have a really bad day.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
pizzamanrob

look at this way---country convenience stores get hit all the time and they got a land line and video security and they still get robbed like it's open season. You loading a yak out on a remote landing in western Alamance are a far easier target. There's a reason the county comes around and locks the gates at dark to limit access on a few "select" spots. I'll be at one with Mack tomorrow and we have to be out at 8 or we walk home....or Mack will just shoot the lock off......................:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
pizzamanrob

look at this way---country convenience stores get hit all the time and they got a land line and video security and they still get robbed like it's open season. You loading a yak out on a remote landing in western Alamance are a far easier target. There's a reason the county comes around locks the gates at dark to limit access on a few select spots. I'll be at one with Mack tomorrow and we have to be out at 8 or we walk home....or Mack will just shoot the lock off......................:D
But I don't go fishing with a cash register in my boat..I say if they want it that bad...take it. I appreciate your opinions, let me have mine.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I respect your opinion and preference and sorry if I implied otherwise. But remember: Not having a cash register on ya just makes the crack and meth heads even more crazy when they figure out all you got is a five and a couple of swimbaits on you. Best wishes and travel safe ( and don't deliver any pizzas pies to Rauhut street ).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.