NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the weather warms up I hit the beaches near Wilmington to get my fill of surf and kayak fishing. Recently I've been wanting to get into serious shark fishing after catching a few small ones on janky surf tackle. The beach I usually go to can be absolutely packed on the weekends, the sort of beach that let's folks drive on the sand and camp. I hooked a small shark and reeled it in and the "civilians" on the beach were excited to see the catch. But then that got me thinking, what would the general consensus among the happy beach goers be if I hauled in something gnarly that actually had teeth, right from the waters where these people were swimming? (Or so they think, they don't know I'd have dropped the bait 300-400 meters offshore with my yak). Anyways, any shark fishers out there who have experience with this? Or anyone with an opinion on this in general?

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
It only takes one offended tourist and they will ban sharking for everyone. Play it safe and go at night
You hit the nail on the head. If Joe Public is around then problems will squash whatever fun you are trying to have. Someone will say you are attracting the sharks. The "media" is always starving for ANYTHING that takes up paper or air space. Kind of like sharks IYKWIM.
In addition you will likely have plenty of company after a catch or two

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Some beaches don't allow Shark fishing during day light hours. Bad for business. Think WB is one. ........ ICM

·
Registered
151 Posts
I do a fair share of targeting sharks from the beach. On a crowded beach you are asking for problems.
Here's a few.

1. Most of the folks are used to seeing someone fishing at the waters edge and standing knee high in the surf. They are not used to having to look for a line that enters the water 50' from the pole and extends WAY out there. You will have folks dragging your line and getting fouled up in it.
2. Has much to do with number one. I use mono for my top shot on many of my reels for shark and braid backing. I have had to "follow" fish that are running line out to my left or right of where I started. You get that line slicing through a bather and we will all be done with that fishing out there.
3. You baits and hooks are bigger than most are normally fishing on the beach. Get one of those hooks in a bather and refer to #2.
4. It's just not any fun for me if I have to worry about folks tangling my line, etc.

Wait til 6pm and on and normally no problem. Go to bed and get up at 1 or 2am and fish until 8 am.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts