NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a somewhat well-rehearsed plan, ambition, and not much else we headed to the beach at Emerald Isle about 3/4 of a mile south of Bogue Inlet Pier. We set sand spikes, rigged the rods, unfurled the leaders I'd spent my nights tying and baited the hooks with 12-18 inch previously alive bluefish. Ok, so far so good right? Right. Now I launch the kayak which is a lake model about 9 feet long, beamy, and with a gigantic open hatch. I made it fifty meters before I filled the kayak with the incoming tide that was being pushed by a 12 mph wind and flipped. Let's try again. This time with just two baits so the tangle will be less. No joy. Fair enough, so after switching paddlers and being flipped and swimming a ten billion pound kayak back to the beach enough times to get frustrated we gave up on being smart. What worked was carrying the kayak to throat deep water, emptying it, and having the paddler crawl in and do battle with the surf. In the meantime, myself and my other buddy went back, grabbed baits and swam them out to the kayak.

Now, swimming shark baits into shark water is unnerving to say the least and that is without mentioning the tandem set 12/0 hooks. After an hour and a half we had four baits set and three surf rods in the water to try to catch some live bait. (I must mention here that the live bait we caught we released because none of us were interested in going back out into the kayak with even higher surf.)

After about three hours my 6/0 started clicking and then whatever had the 18 inch blue fish decided to show his meal to a dear relative in Scotland and made haste to the east and fast. After about 15 seconds I had my fighting belt on and the rod in my hands ready to spend the next however long doing battle with whatever liked bluefish. I set the drag and then....nothing. NOTHING. I was shaking like a fat kid at the cheesecake factory and had nothing to show for it. Around dark the wind swept in from our right and we could keep the baits set with 10 ounces of weight.

My bluefish was missing half a pound of "nice try rookie" out of the side that didn't have a 12/0 J-hook and the other three baits were unmolested. I felt sick about getting so close to hooking up and not getting in the fight, but this is fishing, and we love it.

I learned a lot from this trip, my first attempt at sharks, and I can"t wait for next weekend. I hope for calmer seas, but I will try no matter what.​

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
That sounds like a great first try Jim. Next time you might want to add a second stinger hook to the back of your bait to help with fish that just want the back half of your bait. It was nice meeting you at the meet and greet the other week, maybe sometime I can get out there with you guys and Ill bring my manta ray14. Its alot bigger and it can handle larger waves. Brad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catmaster, that sounds great. There is plenty of room, and if the description of our first go-round doesn't scare you, you're just the kind of guy for the job.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It sounds like the fishing I like, goin for the big boys and doing whatever it takes.
The more hardcore the better the adventure.....
P.S. I have been shark fishing solo, too many times, it is almost impossible.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't forget about those big casted baits also. There are some days when my yakked baits don't get touched and the casted bait get action. 1st abd 2nd gut hold a lot of fish at times.

If ya ever need a good confidence builder go, take a buddy and go down the the airfield in Beaufort and slpit an hour rental in a small overwing plane and ask the pilot to skirt the coast.
They are there.
beagle

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Buy a ssit on top yak like an Ocean kayak Scrambler or Scrambler XT. It will be much easier to get baits out there. We've yakked out baits in 6' surf before.

·
Registered
110 Posts
u HAVE to wait longer to set the hook...... when i shark fish i count for 45 seconds before setting the hook and sometimes thats not even enough........ or if the fish realizes hes been hooked and runs i immediately set it and hang on

·
Registered
199 Posts
if you use the mouse trap with a 20/0 circle hook the fish is already hooked befor you even get to the rod but make sure you drive that hook through the jawbone otherwise it could pull loose

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
im considering going to hammocks beach by ferry to give those sharks a try out there again this year its not bad ferry was 5.00 a person not sure what it is this year,you can take on the ferry what you can carry or pull but its a long walk to the beach side

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just moved to the area last fall. I am stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB. I am really interested in going on one of these shark adventures. I've done a fair amount of surf fishing and have always wanted to get some experience shark fishing. I would love to tag along on one of your trips and get some pointers before I invest the required tackle.

G

·
ok, i just read your post. your working way to hard for a shark on EI, ifen you whant when you have time get up with me ill pm you my info, I fish Beach X on EI atleast 4 times a week in the summer for sharks . No yak , no big reels no work, just a simple cast rig and cast bait and me and my partner put at least 2-3 on the sand from 6:30pm to 9:00pm

Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
I need to hook up with you guys. I caught a shark last year at Onslow beach on accident and I've been dying to hook another one ever since with no luck. I have not the slightest clue on how to catch them, but I'm really wanting to learn.

G

·
send me your info if you whant mine ill send it , i think Northwest will vouch that im a good teacher , just forgot to tell him not to set the circle hook lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.