NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am, my foot is bleeding, I have a jellyfish sting over my left eye, in my hand there is 16 inches of live Bluefish with a tandem hook rig and he is bleeding too. I am side stroking through the surf and oh yeah, I suck at swiming. The next interesting aquafeature is the boiling frothy water a couple meters to my right where who knows what has a bait ball in full frenzy. It wouldn't stress me out too much if the previous four baits hadn't been reeled back looking as if some piscatorial surgeon hadn't just cleanly cleaved them in half leaving a shallow concave half circle to indicate bluntly that something big had just gotten a free meal. If you are thinking that I am the type of kid who shouldn't be allowed out of his cage without a mouthguard and helmet I don't blame you. I'll tell you now, this melodrauma has no climax because we didn't catch any big sharks and I didn't get eaten or bitten.

This is what happened. We again took the very sinkable open cockpit kayak, sharks rods, and surf rods to the beach on Emerald Isle. This time rigging the weights and leaders went a lot smoother. For bait we had some fresh Spots that the awesome folks at a local seafood shop gave us. They weren't long enough for the way I had tied my two hook rigs so we had to patch in pieces of the frozen baits I had.

The surf was pretty calm and we hit the beach at low tide exactly. Kayaking the baits out seemed to go pretty well until I accidentally spooled my buddy's rod trying to take the baits past the sandbar's point. Too much belly in the line from the current as we kayaked baits out, so we had to reel in and reset. This time we only went out a couple hundred meters and dropped baits with extra weights snapped into the leaders. Not the worst plan but the weights got tangled with each other on the trip out there, so again we had to reel in. And things had been going so well.....Frustration sets in and with that comes the desperate sort of irrationality that just might get the job done. To **** with kayaks getting swamped and to **** with tangled lines and currents and slack.

So every time we caught a big blue we reeled in a shark rod, rigged the unfortunate depar onto the hooks and I swam through the bait balls and the breaks and sidestroked until I became washed over by a wave and swallowed a good gallon of the Atlantic. That is the point at which I said enough, dropped the bait and doggie paddled back to shore, usually just in time to see my ruthless friend setting the hook on another Blue. The Spots had all been bitten cleanly in half, or more than half, leaving behind a grim reminder that I am a rookie punk from the hills that doesn't yet rate to catch a big shark. For the last two hours of daylight with the tide going out we had 16-18 inch Blues as bait anywhere from 100-150 yds out. Bait balls came and went, sea gulls begged for scraps bikini clad girls walked into our lines and the sun went down. Not a single bluefish was eaten or touched. Next time, right?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wish you could hsve gotten all that on video. LOL!!! You should write a book about all this once you actually get your shark. Thanks for the laugh, keep up the posts.

GOOD LUCK NEXT TIME, Cornfed.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
sounds like a fustrateing time for sure but fun at the same time try ballooning the baits out instead of yakin and swimming,we used to catch plenty of good sharks by just casting out from the beach with a good surf rod ;)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Get yourself a potato cannon... Will shoot those baits a mile, wont have to waste time on swimming more. Make one out of a grill igniter and some pvc, probably like $40 tops at a hardware store.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
its a low "thummmppppppshhh" not really a cannon shot. Or a air cannon would be better, even quieter cuz of no explosion, but much more costly. I have a homeade potato cannon thatll shoot a big potato a 1/5 of a mile. I bet itd work good for the beach :D at least fun :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ha, that's nuts, but it does seem like a good idea, at least in theory. Looks like you have to pre-freeze your baits in a little plastic mold though - that seems like a pretty big drawback, at least in this context.

I wonder if you could make some kind of open-ended container to fire out fresh baits/lures, with a long leash on the container to re-use. Have to think that kind of acceleration would turn live bait in to dead bait pretty quick, but it'd certainly be fun to try.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.