NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shark Fishing Now Prohibited in Emerald Isle
The Board of Commissioners met in a special meeting on Monday, July 6, and adopted a new ordinance that authorizes temporary restrictions or prohibitions on the public trust beach area and the adjacent waters of the Atlantic Ocean. As a result, the Town has prohibited shark fishing and / or "chumming" activities on the beach and nearshore areas, effective immediately. This prohibition will continue through September 15.
Any shark fishing and / or "chumming" activities are now illegal, and the EIPD and the Beach Patrol will be enforcing this prohibition. Violators will be required to immediately cease shark fishing and / or "chumming" activities, and will be subject to a civil penalty.
Other surf fishing activities are still permitted in Emerald Isle. Please be courteous to others enjoying the beach!
Frank A. Rush, Jr.
Town Manager
Town of Emerald Isle
7500 Emerald Drive
Emerald Isle, NC 28594
252-354-3424
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If you can still surf fish, how can they tell if you are shark fishing assuming your not throwing buckets of chum in the water? Also, if you catch a shark fishing for something else are you fined? I don't know how you enforce something like that.
It's the easy answer to the un informed public.
Sharks are there regardless if anybody is fishing for anything. So to the un informed and edict like this tells them that it will be ok to visit and swim in the ocean. They can't do a thing about sharks being there but they can do something about fishing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
plenty of other places to shark fish. It's got everything to do with $$$. Sharks are where sharks are whether someone is fishing them or not. You go in the water at your own risk especially at dusk and dawn. From what I saw, the tourists are damaging the beaches more than any shark is, trashing our coastal waters...

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I went to Hilton Head last summer with the girlfriend's family I couldn't believe how many signs there were saying shark fishing was banned. My thoughts then were the same as most of them posted here now.

Sounds to me like they want to pull a few more last minute tourists their direction over other beaches with all the paranoia swirling around right now.

If anyone asks, you're not fishing for shark. If you're not chumming I don't see what they could do, really.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Think it's the town's decision based solely on economics.
This will not prevent more Shark attacks, but give the appearance of being proactive.
Once your baits in the water there is no way of preventing a Shark from picking it up.

I do believe that those Shark fishing on a public crowded beach should have better sense.
So yes I agree with the town's right to keep the public safe.
Will it work? I don't think so. ...... ICM

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Take it a few here have never owned business that relied on tourist dollars.
Because you don't value them or understand the needs of appearances'.

As for trying to deceive the local LEO's, they know the difference between Shark & other types of fishing. ...... ICM

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree it is reactionary and won't protect anybody. I also know if I had an ice cream shop or a rental home down there I would be demanding they do "something". The number of people who actually shark fish is so small it really impacts very few, I understand that it makes those few angry, but that's just the deal.

I've been on the beach when guys came up and started shark fishing and caught a nice spinner right where I was swimming an hour ago. I know they didn't draw them in. However, the average tourist does not know that, and that's where the local community makes his bread-and-butter. Just the law of the jungle.

I do worry about the "slippery slope". Chopper blues probably bite as many people as sharks, can I fish for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
It comes down to the finger has to be pointed somewhere, someone or something has to be the scape goat, who else to be to blame than us fisherman that are just looking for a good tug. I personally have never seen anyone sharking on a crowded beach, actually it's usually done away from crowds early morning or late afternoon/night. Instead of realizing that all the marine wildlife conservation is probably working and bringing the shark population up along with everything else, they are looking at it as a problem. Shark fishermen aren't bringing sharks closer to coastal waters, they live there and if you are wearing a red bathing suit with a silver wrist watch and thrashing around, or if you are a woman in the middle of your "cycle" well it's like holding up a lightning rod in the middle
of a storm. Someone could be two miles offshore spear fishing and that would be close enough to the beach to attract sharks from 10 miles in either direction.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Shark fishing requires big heavy tackle,big hooksand bait. Regular surf fishing has 2hook bottom rig with shrimp, bloodworms, or sand fleas. Othrr rig would be a Carolina rig for reds or flounder.
what if I am surf fishing for old drum or cobia? :)

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many people(tourists or locals) have been bitten by a shark on the entire island of Emerald Isle in the last 10 years?

How many people on Emerald Isle have been injured when a deck collapsed?? July 4, 2015 24 injured, 5 hospitalized in Emerald Isle..... 2002 15 injured when a deck collapsed in Atlantic Beach..... July 4, 2001 16 went to the hospital when a deck in Emerald Isle collapsed. Then there were 21 in Ocean isle in 2013 injured when a deck collapsed and 21 in Cherryville on July 4th 2013 when a deck collapsed.

Seems to me that decks are way more dangerous than sharks, so ban decks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
but the decks are already there..fishing for sharks draws them in...yea right!!
earlier this year I caught 2 dog fish( a type of shark) off Atlantic beach..
I wasn't chumming for sharks..just a 2 hook bottom rig with shrimp..go figure...
I do get the town 'must' do something otherwise tourist $$$ leave..they do leave..$$ goes with them
and this hurts all kinds of businesses...
either way its a knee jerk reaction..but its what the tourist(tourions) understand...

I was fishing over the 4th..didn't catch a single shark..of any size or kinda.
-dkenny

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
As for businesses suffering that's part of surviving at the coast, Hurricanes don't hold back and you **** sure can't ban them....

Oh and it seems like I see one of them big stores that looks like a shark every once in a while

Yea what an excellent idea, let them infringe on our rights a little more. Exactly what we need to do is cater to the idea that knee jerk reaction is better than actually associating reality with facts. Sharks are in the water and so are several other dangers.

Sent from my XT1080

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm to the point where it's basically oh well, another one got bit. The whole world knows not to swim here yet folks like to chance it I guess. The first two losing arms was an eye opener now it's the norm if you swim you could get bitten.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Shark fishing requires big heavy tackle,big hooksand bait. Regular surf fishing has 2hook bottom rig with shrimp, bloodworms, or sand fleas. Othrr rig would be a Carolina rig for reds or flounder.
In a perfect world maybe.

I shark fish using 11 and 12 foot surf rods and 8-10/0 hooks with ABU 6500 and 7000's. Enough to handle 4-6 foot sharks all day long.
They would be hard pressed to say I wasn't drum or tarpon fishing. Both requiring stout leaders.
We catch sizable sharks all the time drum fishing using cut mullet for bait.
Not everybody fishes for puppy drum. I don't fish for them at all. I fish for the old drum or no drum.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
what if I am surf fishing for old drum or cobia? :)
Not saying you can't catch Sharks with that set up. I have caught a 6 ' Blacktips.
You maybe asked to leave the beach or be fined.
Maybe they wont allow anyone to be fishing with large dead baits or cut baits.
Who knows ? ......... ICM

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.