NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never went to the surf and targeted shark yet. I've always wanted to try it. I understand the lead and set up. I just want to know the best baits, time of day, and where around topsail is good for me to fish. I want to know most of all very importantly what surf rod should I buy without spending an arm or a leg. I have a powerful conventional reel already, but I need a strong conventional casting surf rod to go with it. Where can I find one? Have some links? What band and model is good? I imagine most of what I'll catch are sandbar sharks. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
On topsail youll get a variety of sharks. Bulls, blacktips, sandbars, tigers and many others are all possible. Are you looking to kayak the baits out or cast them? What is the reel and line that you plan on using? Need some more info before we can really help you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Best baits are either fresh fresh bloody bluefish or chunks of stingray wings. Best time is dusk-dawn. What kind of reel do you have? And what's your budget on a rod? There are several good choices for casting surf rods that will handle sharks.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I caught my biggest shark at topsail right behind the Topsail dunes condos on a 4" live pompano right at dusk. Not sure of the exact species but it was about 4 ft long. I was using a 6 ft Penn boat rod I used for headboat fishing and chunked it the best I could.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If your casting out your bait.. and $$ is an issue.. get an 10' + Ugly stick..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts