NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know anything about how to fish for sharks out of southport? I was watching a tv show on the North Carolina station and they were down by southport fishing out of where the cape fear dumps in the ocean. They were on deep channels throwing cut mullet for chum, and boy they seemed like they were catching sharks left and right. Since I'm going to be that way tomarrow and for the next few days, I figured maybe one of yall had some tips for me.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It would mainly depend on what size sharks and that would depend a lot on what size boat, tackle, gaffs & help you have. Most likely you will be limited to 30-50 lb tackle and a 23' or under boat. Its already late for this but normally I would start a trip to the nearest fish cleaning station the eve before and get 4-6 buckets of chum. That in itself can be an art but anything is better than nothing. Failing that I'd just plan on going out before daylight and have the sabiki rigs and pogie net ready for action. If you can get a bunch of blues in the mean time they are excellent. After that I would head out sw to some live bottom about 15-20 miles out & put out a drift chute and start fishing. Pick a spot that will keep you moving over the most live bottom and go for it. Chum is nice but if you can hook up a couple of fish that will turn them on also. You have to put up with too many rods but what you carry home for supper will make up for the inconvience. As soon as you get a fish nailed by a shark then start chumming and mark the spot, because you are probably over enough fish to hold several sharks in the area pull in the chute and anchor up just upwind of the spot. (After scoping it out to make sure.) Note: the show you saw was in all likely hood made in the late summer/fall during the mullet run and you certainly don't want to be in the mouth of the river this weekend. You probably want to be away from any recent hotspots or popular community holes. Too much traffic can kill a good spot. Over fishing a spot might be good for the shark population but they soon get tired of getting hooked too. Ya' ll stay safe and enjoy the day for better or worse.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
what Al said, evening time boat traffic dies down and is a great time to go out, anywhere in the surf is a good spot as well. Usually catching sharks isnt a problem, but sometimes the wait to get the big one can wear down patience.

Chum for sure and usually fresh dead bait is the ticket, depending on what size shark your after...

Barracuda are good shark bait,, stink to high heaven and will definately draw them in.

For big shark, 6/0 size reel and 30-50 class rod would be a good start, minimum of 6 ft steel leader with tandem 11/0 hooks would be ideal.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.