NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some sites and saw sharks being from the surf. Is it possible to catch sharks at Corolla beach? If yes what tackle would be suitable as far as line, and reel size? Also is it legal from the beach? Thanks for any input

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Not sure how it's practiced now... but back in the day we used balloons and garbage bags to "float baits" (usually half bonita's, whole mullet) out with a Penn black face 9/0 with 80lb test on it.

get out in the water a little, rod in a holder (sand spike) on the beach, throw bait out as far as possible, then head back to the reel and open the bail, feed line as the wind took the bait out via the garbage bags or balloons (kinda like huge bobbers).

Then the NO plastic law came out and folks either used balloons or small canoes to paddle the baits out to the other side of the sand bars.

Small thread or life saver candy was used to attach bags/balloons to the leader about where the swivel connection to main line was. when the balloons got out to where you wanted them, you simply waited till the live saver melted and your bait would drop to the bottom and just drift around, the bags/balloons would float on out into no mans land.

I wouldnt recommend swimmin your shark bait out...
I can pretty much guess folks dont do the lawn leaf bag trick no more
balloons?? dont know if the still use that or not.
Surf rod set ups and smaller baits are probably the ticket now
I'm sure someone somewhere is still paddlin baits out past the bar

I haven't beach/pier shark fished in a long while... that's all I used to do when I first met my wife. 5 gallon bucket of half bonita and mullets and a few 9/0's.

I think the only thing that is illegal would be to use mamal blood for chum I believe, especially off a beach! Folks would have a fit... Otherwise just a fisherman using fish for bait... dont seem like a problem unless it's a closed or private beach.

Sharkin from shore is a lot of fun

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks !! That was the stumper for me how to get the bait out far enough. We will be vacationing there in June.My daughter wants to get a kayak ( mmm maybe i can cut a deal with her) Thanks again Dave

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Not a problem Patuna.. Yeah, Kayak would be the best bet.

if you plan to use a large reel, like a penn 6/0 or so.. just flip the lever to open spool and just leave the clicker on. I know it's anoying, but it will be the best way to paddle a bait out. Just be carefull of the hooks and dont lay the bait in the lap or somethin just incase somethin happens... dont want to get hung up in shark bait....

You'd be suprised of just how large sharks are close in to the beach. I wouldnt be suprised at all if you hook a large bull or tiger if you keep at it. Last two seasons of nearshore reef fishin, we've seen/caught quite a few tigers. Black tip and brown reef shark are excellent on the bbq. The best eatin shark in my opinion is thresher.. man that was some good stuff! Spiny dog fish and small sand are more of a anoyance than anything,, but you can eat them. (only good for nugget type snackin). Make sure you got a rule book on shark length/size if you plan to keep one.

Please post pix too if you hook into jaws! ;)

If you hook into jaws, be carefull handling them. Their noses can touch their tails!!... what we used to do is take a bow line and make a lasso, lasso that tail and use it to control the fish, plus it make it easy to drag them up the beach that way too.. and always treat a shark as if it's alive even if it's just sittin there lookin dead for a hour and a half... they're pretty hardy animals and nerves will still function.

I lit up my brother inlaw one time... he was sittin there gawkin at this nice 6 ft shark he'd caught and it'd been dead for little less than an hour... I caught him just starin at it while sittin next to it, so I reached over and pop'd the side of the shark just below the dorsal on the side and that thing woke up!!! (just nerves) and scared the puddin out of him.... we all had a good laugh:)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Kayak shark fishing? Only room to store and unhook a fish in the cockpit of my old Pungo series kayak is between my legs--I don't think so!:eek:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Patuna, you might want to get the biggest reel you can find if you are going to put some serious effort into this endeavor. What ever you do, don't do like I used to do and paddle your baits out with a surfboard at night. :eek: Talk about living dangerous...I finally got scred one pitch black night when the current was really churning and washing the baits back up on the beach about as fast as i could get back in. I figured we had a chum line about 10 miles down the beach and I finally came to my senses because I was feeling lucky to still be there. WE got real smart and got an aircraft survial raft after that... you know... the kind that a shark could deflate with just one bite. There are some 12' + sharks out there and they can strip about any reel made. I know first hand.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
If you get the right kind of setup and scout the beach on low tide, getting your baits out far enough should not be a problem. I have seen 7-8 foot sand tigers in the late summer and fall just outside the outer bar on low tide. I have seen them on high tide all the way up the beach. They would get caught by the waves. They would be flipping there tails side to side trying to get back in the water. Another wave would wash in, and they would make their way back out.
I hooked a 8-9 foot hammerhead from the beach one night. I did not know the hammerhead even got that big. I fought him for an hour, and about a mile down the beach. I knew the fish was not a drum, but a shark, but he still gave me a good little scare landing him in the dark. I use a 14 foot pole with a medium size spinner on it. I spool it with 15lb mono. I use this fishing for big red drum. If you use a similar setup, getting your bait out past the outer sand bar won't be a problem. It also gives you a dilemma. You must know how to play a fish out on that kind of tackle, or you're not going to land him.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Patuna, this would be a good reel for beach sharkin'

Okuma TS-50W, $199, 700 yards of 50 lb mono or 500 yards 80 lb test mono
http://www.dmartstores.com/oktisitswile.html

Here's their other Okuma reels:
http://www.dmartstores.com/okuma.html

I bought 4 of my reels thru these folks.. you'd never think it, but their customer support guys fish and know the gear! (I was suprised, when I had to call on a rush shipment). I BS'd with the CS guy for at least 20 minutes talking about the Okuma stuff. Anyway, they're really helpfull and have great prices on Okuma gear.

The next reels of choice I'd throw out to ya if you dont already have is Penn black face Senators in the 9/0 on up to the 14/0 (Coffee can)

Penn 117, 750 yards of `130 lb, $370
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/477832828.htm

** note, while lookin around for older Penn 117's and such, check out this link I found for custom Powder coat paint for reels! pretty cool!
I might check to see what they'd charge to jet black powder coat my 50 W's. Jet black with white lettering... that'd be awsome!

http://mysite.verizon.net/resqtg4g/powdercoatedclassics/

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
All for you Patuna

Hey, thought you'd really like to see this stuff, here's a great link for you to check out.

I have absolutely no idea what the hand gesture thing is some do when posing with the sharks... which I found odd... but anyway.. some awsome shark fishin pix from the beach.

Saltwater Fishing Pictures :: Beach and Pier Shark Fishing (<--- Click link)

GOT BAIT?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Breadman Thanks for sharing, Man if I ever get hooked to a hammerhead (and See it ) It would be incredible!! Let alone of that size I will scout during low tide and see what it produces Thanks for the info

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sinkerman, I thought it would be fun to involve my daughter and have her paddle the kayak out with the bait But after seeing and reading about size of these sharks she will have no part of it! Looking forward to the trip Thanks for the info and sharing the story and no worries no boards for me!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you are going to fish for big sharks you might want to take along or meet up with some muscular young guys with strong backs and nerves of steel. A good heavy nylon tail rope and the ability to use it sorta like a lasso is also needed. An 8' flying gaff is also mighty handy. You might ought to take a reliable camera also 'cause most folks don't realize how big they get. The very best thing would be a remotely operated leader cutter on a 2 pc 20' aluminum pole. Probably the best set up for the traveling angler is a big surf rig with half of a fresh menhaden or bluefish.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Yeah I saw that - not too smart for sure.

I can tell you this from experience - I get a shark on that size, if I'm putting him back the hook almost always goes with him! For a buck or two it is worth keeping all my body parts and letting him have the hook and a little bit of leader.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.