NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever do any shark fishing? I am thinking about trying it off of CB or Fort Fisher. Just getting tired of spotty fishing in and near shore and figured sharks may be a better bet. My plan now is to anchor up, get a chum slick going and put out bait. I plan on dead beat and maybe some live bluefish or croaker under a balloon rig. Anybody have afvice on this type of fishing about gear, bait etc? Thanks

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Tarpon, I have some mahi heads, bodies, snapper heads bodies and some other assorted fresh fish carcass... your welcome to them.

Mahi heads and such work great and a good way to recycle the carcass.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are looking for the 3 footers (and over) you will have to get off shore a few miles. A good chum slick will keep you in the sharks for as long as you have something to throw at them. If you fish near shore you will catch mostly the 12 inchers left and right. For live bait, load up on pinfish.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I don't target sharks but I seem to catch my share of them including this 6-7' Hammerhead 1/2 mile off Topsail Beach a few months ago.

I got a 12 plus pound False Albacore in the freezer, you are welcome to it and can use it for bait or chum.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I believe the best chum in the shark fishing category is a live struggling fish. I would anchor up at the closest nearly vacant reef and drop some bottom rigs over with light rigs and let those fish do a little struggling on the way in. When you start getting half of a fish every 3rd or 4th fish its time to start putting the shark tackle out. You should have 2 or 3 good baits by then at the least. If that didn't work for what ever reason I'd look for another spot and try the same thing.
If you are going to shark fish a lot I'd carry an underwater mike, a boom box and some speakers. (With a little creativity you can waterproof a standard wallyworld set up.) What you do is record struggling fish and then make you a tape that will play sounds of struggling fish from one end to the other and the next time you go you don't have to worry about bringing the small stuff.
The down side is that the smaller fish have a whole lot less mercury in them per serving. While shark is good eating it is full of mercury. So are kings (which shark love ). Basically the higher up the food chain the more mercury. The same can be said for size of the fish. The mercury accumulates and stays in a fish's or person's system. By eating shark you become the top of the food chain and the mercury will accumulate in you quicker than if you were eating smaller fish such as sea bass or even grouper. That makes a good case for big circle hooks on your shark rigs in my opinion. Not that I haven't eaten my fair share of shark....before I realized how loaded up it is. It also makes a good case for bringing some light bottom fishing tackle. Look for fish and then sharks will be where the fish are most abundant or the spots that are fished daily. AR's come to mind as a place for a shark to get an easy meal. I hope this helps. By the way The tarpon are out and about also.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Shark= Texas trolling motor on a kayak!!..LOL!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.