NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got this while surf fishing Tuesday morning with live mullet. Will try to post a picture. It was released after pics. Looked like a hammerhead but it's head was more rounded at the nose and the "hammer jaw " was not as wide. Looked to be 46" plus didn't have a tape or scale sorry. The dock has 1x6 board so that 8 or 9 board? It was on a wire leader fish finder rig with circle hook.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can second, bonnethead shark. Nice catch! That's on the bigger side of things for the species.

Used to catch them in the Gulf near Crystal river, often would hit shrimp and half blue crabs we were fishing for reds. A lot of fun to catch, I like them but I haven't caught any in NC yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the ID. surf fishing is OK a few spots and whitings on fresh shrimp. lots of bait fish with throw net. back tonight when family is put down. need to get in the ICW with my jon boat for some flounder around southport docks. hope to send report later this week.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bonnets are good eating and even more fun to sight cast to (we did it in sc). I believe the world record is only around 10lbs for the 8lb test class.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
So I gather from the replies to the op that this one was on the larger side of average?
I have never seen one but it looks like a bottom sucker with the front looking like a skate from above. I would have Googled the legality and grilled accordingly. Shark is good meat IMO.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not a bottom sucker. There's a set of jaws underneath that odd shaped head. Its on of the larger ones ive seen caught.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
So I gather from the replies to the op that this one was on the larger side of average?
I have never seen one but it looks like a bottom sucker with the front looking like a skate from above. I would have Googled the legality and grilled accordingly. Shark is good meat IMO.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

They aren't pelagic. Inside of 3 miles a finger mullet is better protected. Fire for effect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts