NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Tackle as in terminal tackle or rods and reels.

For terminal tackle I order from SRMO. It's a about a 2 day lead time to NC from New Jersey.
Their price on the big bolt cutter style swage tool is about 40 dollars cheaper than anywhere else for the same swage tool. Crimps, hooks, swivels, thimbles, wire, beads....cheaper than a store.

Shark rigs in a store are EXPENSIVE and not the best of rigs.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Depends on what you are targeting. A 7000 series ABU can handle a pretty big shark unless you are just looking for sharks that will stand you up from a sitting position.
Early August this year I landed a 6' nurse shark that topped the 100 pound mark on an ABU 6500 with 30 pound braid using a homemade castable 400 pound test rated stainless leader. Took about 20 minutes to land. Nurse sharks aren't notorious for fighting though. It's just like being latched onto a car that is idling down the road. Secret is to keep that head turned to the beach. Know when to let em run and when that run slacks off, turn that head back towards the beach.

If I was going to use any other reel I would go straight to a 9/0 Penn. To me, that is the next logical step in land based shark fishing.

Rods, I use my surf rods. 11 and 12 foot graphite Interlines.
For the Penn just an old trolling rod that was restored.

Any of these reels can be gotten at numerous places. Best price is going to be online somewhere.

I would start out with 7000 ABU. It has plenty of line capacity if you don't go bonkers with high pound test. It's got the butt to more than handle MOST of what you'll hook up on unless you just have a spot that holds big sharks.
I hooked up on one shark that was every bit of 10 feet (more than I care to deal with) this summer. If that shark hadn't have beached itself on a low tide sand bar there is no doubt it would have stripped 500 yards of line of that 7000. It was pulling line so hard with the clicker on I thought the reel was going to explode. With that setup I was glad I never actually hooked that shark.

A shark like that would be a good one for a 9/0 Penn.

Shark people are kinda funny. Many probably wouldn't agree with what I just said. Just speaking from my own experiences and I surf fish quite a bit and commonly target shark. A lot of it boils down to knowing when to pull and when to let her go. Choosing your battles within the big battle. Your reel only has but such much drag capability anyway so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to run 100 pound test with a 20 pound drag. I'd rather run 30 pound and loosen and tighten drag as needed.

Knowing when to pull and when to let go.... That is where to me a quality graphite rod is important. I fish with stuff where I can feel the tail going back and forth literally. I can tell by feel when she is slowing or when she she is turning. The bulk of my money is going in the rod. A good lightweight graphite rod. It helps me a lot in knowing when to go and when to stop.

Without totally breaking the bank I'd be looking at Mojo's and some Tsunamis. If you got the buck to spend move into Diawa Saltists or St. Croix surf outfits.

Alot of this depends on where you fish and whether you cast bait or paddle bait out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Over the years it seems that catchin sharks from land is something that requires some crazy tackle. For your casting gear if you like spinning reels any of the Penns 850 and up with a braid mono combo will get you 90% of whatever bites.
Even for yakin out a bait a penn 6/0 extra wide will get the other 90%.
Let the rod, drag and reel do what they were designed for.

Now if you wanna fish all the time prepared for the fish of a lifetime...nothin wrong there. you won't have 1/2 as much fun.

It's like pullin 130's all the time on the ocean cause you never know when that "grander" will show. You may catch her when she shows but all those tuna, dolphins, wahoo and other were no fun at all on that tackle.
One man's thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.