NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went with my son to sharon harris sunday for the first time ever. its obvious i never fished it before, big fat skunk. we were bass fishing. i tried shallow deep and in between. tried ever lure i had even a stick of dynamite, nothing. spoke with several guys fishing and they said bite was far and few for them. one said he only caught one with a 2 inch craw. water was very clear and temp was 75 when we left at 2pm. beautiful day to be on water though. Optimystic whats the secret in there...................

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went yesterday morning. I caught two under the slot, two slot fish, and lost two over the slot(1 hit about 4' from the boat and the other straightened my hook). Had several other bites. Caught fish on a rattling bait, and a senko. Also had bites on senko, a wacky worm and a swimbait.
Water temp was from 66-72. Bunch if fish on beds that were finicky and not interested. Caught my fish blind casting rattle bait parallel to the bank in 3-6 feet if water and flipping senko next to grass by bank.

Saw a lot of other people fishing but not catching . Spoke to a few I knew which had little success.

It was pretty slow on Harris standards.

Good luck the next time your out. Find you a grass line and soak a senko if the bite is slow

·
Registered
762 Posts
I went on Sunday too. At first light I went under the bridge to fish the grass way back in the back. Bass were busting shad, I managed two on top water dragged over the grass. Bass were busting all over the place sounded like cannon balls hitting the water. This died down soon after sunup.

After that I tried several coves looking for spawners. Finally found a cove with a lot of beds but the bass were very spooky and not interested in baits. I did finally manage to fool one bass on a plastic lizard.

Overall, I would recommend concentrating on the grass way back under the bridge right now. Top water type baits such as weedless frogs in the morning, and then pitching after the sun is up. I meant to go back and pitch but decided to go home and get some stuff done around the house which made the boss happy :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I went on Sunday too. At first light I went under the bridge to fish the grass way back in the back. Bass were busting shad, I managed two on top water dragged over the grass. Bass were busting all over the place sounded like cannon balls hitting the water. This died down soon after sunup.

After that I tried several coves looking for spawners. Finally found a cove with a lot of beds but the bass were very spooky and not interested in baits. I did finally manage to fool one bass on a plastic lizard.

Overall, I would recommend concentrating on the grass way back under the bridge right now. Top water type baits such as weedless frogs in the morning, and then pitching after the sun is up. I meant to go back and pitch but decided to go home and get some stuff done around the house which made the boss happy :)
This is exactly what iv been waiting to hear!!!!!! love fishing the grass from my kayak.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. i put in at white oak and fish the coves north, i used senkos up around some grass no luck, lots of algea or green slim on baits where i was...which end of lake is best for kayakers..or does it matter

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm not a kayaker but if I was going tomorrow, I would park at the bridge (northern end). Put in there and paddle to the grass in the very back of that area. Bass are there - just got to find what they want to bite.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dang it, I wish I would have read this thread before taking off this morning. When you guys say put in at the bridge do you mean the one on Hollermans Rd? I've read that there is a way to walk you kayak down but I haven't been yet because that's a bit of a haul for my 52 lb kayak. I would love to put in there because it saves me from paddling all the way from the Hollermans boat ramp. I did that Saturday and my *** was way tired paddling back against the wind.

I went today, put in at Crosspointe ramp. I stayed close because of the forecasted thunderstorms for later in the afternoon. I threw senkos, swimbaits, TR Ragecraw, Smithwick rogue in firetiger, Chart SB and a white/chart chatterbait with no luck. I fished parallel to any grass or weed lines but I would often run into that green slimy muck or the witch hair grass. I fished in White oak creek - the first and second coves as you make a left onto the main part of the lake. Oh the other thing was it was windy in some places.

Besides chartreuse and green pumpkin what other colors work well on Harris? Reds? junebug? watermelon? White? Bubblegum?

Junebug, green pumpkin and scuppernog are kinda my go to colors but I'm interested to know what other colors do well here.

Awesome place to learn. Tight lines all!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes, that's the bridge. In fact that's the only bridge over Harris, so when we say "the bridge" everyone knows what we're talking about :)

As for colors, I don't think it matters a whole lot to be honest. I tend to use a dark bait for muddy water and/or dark conditions, and a more natural color for clear water and/or bright conditions. I honestly do not believe the bass are that picky with regards to color - they are predators and will eat anything that looks remotely edible.

·
Registered
524 Posts
in the grass and lilly pads i would throw a frog until your arms fall off. keep a fluke handy to toss if you actully see a bedding fish but the frog is the ticket.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The trail down to the water on the upper side of the bridge on the end where you can park (beyond the signs) is not terrible. Little bit of a haul over the rise but it is open and pretty direct but not too steep into the water. If you are only going to be there daylight hours, it is a short paddle from the county park to the bridge and the park has a canoe ramp. But the park has no double spaces, so it is only car top or pick up friendly. You have to unhook a trailer and park beside it and the park has daytime hours.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Andy, just got my kayak dolly in today which will make it easier to tote my yak down to the water. I want to get out there just as the sun comes up and try the topwater bite which is my favorite way to catch bass. I'll get to the county park sooner or later. It just opens so late - 0800 - plus I didn't have my dolly so I didn't want to carry my kayak on my shoulder all that way to water. But now I can do it all in one trip! Thanks everyone for the input.

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
I launched from the bridge this past Sunday and some poles/stumps were put up on the hill going down to the water to prevent cars from going down there so you have to maneuver your yak around or over them. My Cruise is wide but had just enough room to get it through them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
PW,

Do you park on the opposite side of the road and walk it over? My kayak is about 31" wide and the wheels would probably add another 4" on each side, that should be able to squeak by. I'm gonna go tomorrow in the morning and give it a go. I'll report how things went. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
PW,

Do you park on the opposite side of the road and walk it over? My kayak is about 31" wide and the wheels would probably add another 4" on each side, that should be able to squeak by. I'm gonna go tomorrow in the morning and give it a go. I'll report how things went. Wish me luck.
I was able to park on the same side. Was lucky enough to be able to back it up on the hill so I was really close. My yak is 31 wide as well and my cart is the kind that goes through the scuppers so it wasn't too much wider than the yak and I was able to get it through. There is also a pine that is laying down as well and I just went around it. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is what it looks like and I had a **** of time getting around that piece of timber and the wooden pylons! I had to go to the very right side first then to the very left side, since my kayak and cart wouldn't fit through the pylons.
. IMG_1019.jpg IMG_1020.jpg IMG_1022.jpg

I think the worse part is hauling the yak back up the hill, I had to stop in the middle of it to catch my breath. I guess it's better than launching and the boat ramp and paddling all the way here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know if you go in the summer in the afternoon if you head toward the bridge just before you get there on the right hand side there is a point that comes out. Its the last one before the bridge. The point comes out and continues as a road bed. Use texas or carolima rig deep swim a spinner bait a suspended crank or bounce a deep running crank off that road bed. It has never failed me. Also there is grass everywhere on the edges throwing a spoon is also a good technique to try. Ive always had luck on harris its very rare we come back empty handed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts