NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I worked at the plant for 19 years. The heat from the plant is rejected to the cooling tower and not directly to the lake like some power plants. A small amount of water is drained from the cooling tower thru an underground pipe to a spot just in front of the dam. Guessing ~500 yards, I don't remember. I heard it was a good lake for bass that is full of hydrilla. I am unsure of it currently.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Boys that place is busting at the seams with some big ems. Them bass are waiting and willing to hit a spinnerbait or just about any offering that you might want to sling at em.

Crappie are also plentyful in the lake.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I think its mostly a good spot just because its a good spot. Good weed base to keep the water filtered, oxygenated & give the fry and predators places to hide, good variety of structure and cover and water depth for bass, somewhat limited access by way of fewer facilities and being more remote to the population center than Jordan or Falls. I'm also not aware of the power plant providing any meaningful heating to the lake - ie. no "hot hole" that you expect from power plant lakes.

Also has the slot limit. Not sure we can definitively say whether the slot limit increased the number of big fish or if the number of big fish necessitated the slot, but it seems to work. Like most places, the guys who were there 10-20 years ago say that it was way better back then (when there were fewer to share the lake with!)...

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I use to fish this place when it first opened, wasn't nothing to catch 100 bass a day on spinnerbaits, but of course it was mostly 12 inch fish. :eek:

Not sure exactly when, a few years back, 1 day total creel 77 pounds. This was a husband and wife team. Can you imagine 10 fish at least 7 pounds each. Seems like Reedy, something like that., was the name.

You can find them in schools in the middle of the lake chasing shad on top, with a fast moving , and I do mean fast, you cannot out run a bass chasing something trying to get away, Rebel Pop-R or anything simular, you can catch em like crazy. This is a mid-summer application. :cool:

Get a map, study it, look for old road beds and Railroad beds, these are what you see a lot of people in the middle of the lake jigging for. They are hitting the old crossings, creeks and ditches off old roadbeds. ;) Also you will see some old ponds that were there before the lake was dammed up, these are still there, just under water and the areas still hold a lot of fish.

Almost forgot, the power lines that run across the middle of the lake are a great place to catch late season crappie. Lots of people put stake beds, tree tops and such out, and a lot of them put it in deep water for the summer time. Fish at night with a floating light with minnows and you can catch a lot of em.:D

jTight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.