NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Going to harris lake for the first time friday to do some bass fishing. Going to put in at the 42 hwy ramp. Any good holes in that area that anyone wants to share?

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I've fished Harris only a couple times. Had a good day (really just a great hour) in secondary cove on the same side of the lake as that 42 ramp - up closer to the plant. Found matted milfoil (? - whatever the major weeds are) with both a very defined inside and outside edge. Caught them between the shore and the inside edge, in the open channels in the weeds that lead to the deeper water and on the outside edge on zoom horny toads. Caught a good fish once by finding a few inches of emerging weeds in about 10' of water off a point with a carolina rig, then ticking a deep Crankbait just through the top of those weeds.

Outside of that I've caught a few on jig&finesse worm around the bridge, and on small dropoffs.

Was out the week before last for the first time in my kayak and managed to scrape up 2 fish trolling crankbaits on my way back to the boat ramp - a white perch and a catfish. Not exactly what I was looking for but at least I got something to pull back.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
head east across the face of the south dam, and follow that main lake channel east to the end just a bit right and dead ahed of ya there's a narrow channel that comes into the main channel there (when you get to the end you'll see the main channel turns south/right),, keep going straight and about 200 yards east, there's a submerged road bed that comes up (depending on lake water level) to within 6-8 ft of the surface.. fishin around that and in that area has been good for me in the past. Just watch the sonar... cant miss it when your over the road bed.

Anywhere up in them grasses and lily pads in the coves further back are all good in there, especially this time of year.

If back out in the main channel from that spot,, basically pick a point.. those are good spots and if you follow the channel where it turns south, it will hook left and back in the way back of there are stumps, shallows, grass, flats and some deeper water in a very narrow channel. But them stumps way in the back are the ticket, just watch your depth, in some spots it gets skinny quick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Basically I just go back into any good coves to get away from the boat traffic (wake boarders and tubers are tough if fishing in the afternoon) and put my trolling motor up against the weed beds (primrose) and lillypads, then fish along their contours, spinner baits is what is working best right now. If you have any interest in crappie, troll some jigs (colors will vary depending on cloud cover) about half speed with the trolling motor in about 5/10' of water, You want be able to slay em no more but you can still easily catch 15-20 12+ inchers in a few hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.