NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, fished Harris lake today with not much luck at all. The water was definitely up and appears to be at normal levels (from what I remember it being at) temperature range was 64-68 degrees. Saw lots and lots of fish on the depth finder at about 30-40 feet, I am assuming they were crappie because they were bunched up normally around a drop off. I didn't get skunked, but came really close. I hooked and landed 1 bass on a Chili Pepper culprit worm that was about 2 pounds. My buddy lost 1 and had about 3 or 4 other bites. I lost 1 other and and had a few other bites. Got there at 6:45 am, were about 5 boats there so im thinking it was going to be a good day. By around 9:00 there were prob 3 times that many there and im guessing there were probably around 30+ when I left at 2:00. Wind started picking up around 10:00 and it got a little harder to fish. I tried at least 10 different spots but most every time I moved somewhere I ended up fishing behind someone or there were already 3 or 4 boats when I got there. Tried spinnerbaits, crankbaits, carolina rig, and x-rap.

NOW...about the one I lost....I know every fisherman has there "fish story"...well guys here's mine...I was fishing a Firetiger crankbait that dives to about 8'. I was throwing it at the bank in about 2 feet of water and bringing it out to about 10'. Well, I felt a hit so I set the hook, and as soon as I did, I knew I had something huge. The fish hardly moved when I set the hook. I fought this fish for 3 minutes and it only broke the water one time. Guys, this was easily the largest fish I have ever hooked, and I have a 10lb bass on the wall. I had a 6'6 Med-Hvy rod that was bent double, almost like a ultra lite crappie rod and I had my drag almost as tight as it would go and the fish was still pulling line...needless to say, the fish pulled off and I sat there for about 15 minutes shaking with excitement and fuming with anger. Im still kicking myself for losing that fish. Im almost positive it was a bass, pretty sure it was not a catfish or a gar or anything. Oh well, you win some you lose some...but I wish it had not of been that one. :mad:

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4 on the one that got away...........lots of old ponds were flooded when the lake was made and those fish are still there today........

Several years back about 10???? a man and woman fishing a tourney had a 10 fish stringer of 72 or 77 pounds........that averages 7 poounds a fish..........so plenty of them in the lake that should be double digit bohemeths......

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man, I hate you lost that fish. I also fished Harris Friday with 3 buddies. I feel your pain. At about 9 as soon as the wind started to blow I had a giant bass crush my lure. Jumped, boiled, and went straight to the primrose. Gone. Close to 6 or 7lb. Very next cast another giant drills my line. Hookset hard. It ran directly at me hard. Under the boat hard and gone. Next cast finally land a 5lb 2 oz. Bittersweet. Actually my best day ever there. Between us we had 18 bass 3 over 5 and 7 over 3. Would love to give out info openly but fish are pressured and I hate to say it but some of those guys down there just plain suck. I'm not used to these kind of fishermen and certainly don't want them to see any helpful info. Watch out for a dark green triton with #1490 on the back(not NC#). Literally ran to within 10 feet of our boat and started casting. Sorry about the rant and hope no one loses anymore giant fish this weekend.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that was me on the triton man...

Nah im just kidding man, I would never do that. But I do feel your pain, it happened to us at least 4 or 5 times. Everytime we would go somewhere to fish about 10 mins later, a boat would come flying up and cut us off within 20-30 feet or so...it is really frustrating. A few times I pulled the trolling motor up, cranked up and drove ahead of them and cut them off...it was wrong I know but with the fishing so hard, I was trying everything to put some fish in the boat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.