NC Angler Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It was very good this weekend, a buddy and I landed 31 over 16". Quite a few shorts mixed in. Mostly on red eye shads. Conditions were good for fishing with the overcast skies, cool weather and occasional rain shower. Saw some schooling action also. We both lost some real pigs too, the biggest kept shaking the red eyes.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I dislike harris a bunch. Two guys I know won the Wednesday night tournament last week with a 31 lb limit. They say the culled another 28 lb limit too. Pretty rediculous for a 4 hour tournament.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty new to the fishing scene on lakes. I've done well on Wheeler and some of the local ponds around Raleigh. I bought a 99 Stratos a few months back and have been on the water over a dozen times. Primarily fishing Wheeler (it's next to my house). I've been to Harris a few times (probably 3-4) and I just can't seem to locate the fish. I've gotten up at 5am and threw frogs/buzz on the lily pads under the bridge. I've used Football jigs / Spoons on the railroad tracks. Used lipless cranks 5-6 ft of water around some of the bluffs and threw some shaky heads.

I hear Harris is one of the best fisheries on the East Coast for bass and I have maybe caught 3 fish in about 24 hours on the lake.

Constantly casting and reeling (like tournamnent fishing) with no success.

Any basic spots outside of the railroad/lily pads I should be trying.. Any techniques for the summer?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Those same fellas weighed 29# the next wed tourney...they know something I don't lol. Last trip I caught all mine on top in schools. Best day ever. But I didn't catch 31, and can't get bit on a red eye for some reason. I was throwing the sexy shad ones.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
That works for a lot of people, but most of my bass at SH have been on soft plastic lightly weighted and fished slowly. Weed lines can be good. That said, the last couple of times out I have had a UL rod for panfish and a heavier rod with bass sized plastic and all my fish have come on the light rod and none were bass (odd, because I usually catch a juvie bass or two on the UL and every now and then get surprised by a nice bass). I have been fishing SH about 20 years. SH can be feast or famine on bass and I have had enough fishless days targeting bass exclusively that I don't do it anymore. If the bass bite is hot I stay with it and it earns that reputation every now and then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have maybe caught 3 fish in about 24 hours on the lake.

That sounds about right for Harris. Don't buy into the 31 fish hype, this lake can be tough but worth it when you get an 8 pounder.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I went out there Tuesday and Thursday evening. Both days I caught a fish while paddling. Tuesday a decent perch and Thursday a 1.5 or so bass. Both on plugs. A shad rap and then a stick bait. Just cruising over some of that there submerged weeds.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The perch are about as close to pelagic as you can get in a lake that size. They are in the weeds and near shore also, but you will sometimes catch one near the surface out in the middle.

Bass I mostly catch near shore.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That sounds about right for Harris. Don't buy into the 31 fish hype, this lake can be tough but worth it when you get an 8 pounder.
If anyone is going to catch 31 bass on Harris in the summer I would bet money on Turtlestew and Toba and they do it from kayaks not glitter rockets.

Harris has always been tough for me except March and April when I can catch a 20" fish any trip out there. I went for 2 hours one afternoon this week and missed a bowfin and bass on a frog, and landed a 15"er on a swimbait fishing the pads.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Fishing has been really good at Harris. Most trips we have had we have caught between 25-40 fish. If you want to catch the bigger ones you have to try and get away from the schools of 2-4 lbers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You'll have to go back 11 pages on our fish log to get to the beginning of August but count em up if you'd like jg. We had to stop loading at 50 bass (min size 16 inches) because that's all each team is allowed per month.

http://www.kayakwars.com/teampage.php?team_idvar=227&team=Nacho Fish
I'm not saying you didn't catch them. I am saying it's not a realistic expectation for someone new to the lake to go out and bag 31 fish in an outing. Your results on that lake are not the norm for the majority of us. Most of us aren't going to go out and catch 31 fish in any lake on any day. I think catching a couple a day is much more realistic.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I dont think anyone was talking anything about what is, or isnt, realistic. You did directly question his report, and sometimes someone should just say 'my bad', nice pics, or maybe know something about someone and theirs before making such a statement as yours sir. Now I'll it go there kindly. Just know my brother is my ace. And I'm his.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.