NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set out on Sunday, drove through the rain heading from Greenville to Morehead for a little sheephead fishing. Arrived at the HWY 70 Radio Island boat launch to an unfamiliar scene. The ramp was almost empty. Was this heaven? There were several folks waiting on the weather, but only a few were in the water. There was some lightening and rain off in the distance. The T-storms were moving off and up the coast so I decided to get going. I arrived about 2 hours before low tide and set out to find some sand crabs. I made it across the channel to a small island where I found crabs. I noticed the shoreline in the Morehead City direction begin to disappear. I had a few moments before the bottom fell out. I have been carrying a large golf umbrella in kayak for a little shade in the hot sun, I backed up to a dune and waited out the rain. It was a short down pour and then I was back to digging crabs. I caught about 50 - 60 and headed off in search of urchins. With low tide in around an hour I had plenty of time to find them. After scouring a few urchins off the rip rap and port wall, I put one on and started working my way out along the port wall. I had few bumps, before a nice hit... I hooked up and began reeling in the fish, didn't fight much but felt pretty hefty. I landed about a 4-5 lb oyster toad. What a mouth on that bugger. I released and put down another bait. It continued to rain off and on for the next couple of hours. As the tide changed around 10 am I noticed some bait in the area between the hwy 70 bridge and the railroad bridge. I threw my cast net and landed bait and dinner. I caught 8 or so large cigar minnows and about a dozen jumbo white shrimp. The shrimp were about 8 inches long. First shrimp in the cast net for me. Got them all in the minnow bucket and set out with another urchin on the line. Dropped it down to about 40 ft or so, just off the bottom. Minutes rolled by and finally a bump. I set the hook on my first sheephead on urchin. It was about 3.5 lbs. In the cooler it went. Set down another urchin and worked my way down the port wall towards the turning basin. An hour went by with no bites. I headed back to the Hwy 70 bridge on the Beaufort side. I decided to try some crabs. Put one down and immediately had a small 1lb sheephead. I fished with crabs for several more hours and managed 3 more sheephead and a ton of undersized sea bass. All in all a great day on the water. 4 sheep head. 3 x 3-4 lb'rs and 2 x 1-2 lb'rs. I did have some questions about fishing for Sheephead in deeper water if anyone would like to respond... In 40 ft of water, do you still drop the bait close to the bottom? When using urchins are you expecting less action but larger fish?When using urchins does size matter? I caught urchins from 1.5 inches in diameter to 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Has anyone found a method of storing fish guts until trash day? I usually double bag them and throw them in a cooler on my left over ice. This works for about a day or so. BTW, nothing beats a cheese omelet with fresh saute'd jumbo shrimp. MMMMM :rolleyes:.
Pesky

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very nice report. I've never tried the deep water sheephead but will have to try now. Mainly use fiddlers and a chum the bridge pilings. How do you hook those sea urchins? Do you leave the spines on, this is new to me but I did notice one of the tackle shops was now selling them.
As far as the fish guts, I always try and clean fish as soon as possible and throw them back into the water to feed the crabs and gulls. If not able I will double bag after cleaning and freeze like tmoss stated. Just got to hope the trashmen don't take the day off....

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I start out about 1 turn off the bottom and work my way up the wall. I catch 98 percent of my fish just off the bottom. With urchins I trim the spines with scissors and size hasn't seemed to matter but most of the ones I get are 1.5-2 inches around. Most of the fish I catch on urchins are 3 pounds or better but with that comes less fish. As for disposing of my fish scraps I feed them to the crabs, but I live close enough to be able to do that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sweet ride Pesky. I was in the Sea Boss. You are a brave man though going out around there in that kayak haha. It was pretty windy that day and none of those big boats slowdown one bit for a kayak. Next time we will swing by and say hello.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AB1620, just like any boat you have to be aware of your limitations and surroundings. Sunday there was barely any traffic so it was very pleasant by summer standards. And stop by next time you see me out, I am always good for a report. :cool:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
******, are you friends with Clane? If so, I need to hook up with you sometime if you are in the MHC area. I have limited knowledge of the area and I am always up to having a guide :-D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.