NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any knowledge or advice about Sheephead Rock? Does it produce? Is it overfished?

Thinking about seeing if any kayakers want to head out there. Of course we would have to round up somebody with a 4 wheel drive, to ferry yaks and equipment out onto the beach below Ft. Fisher. And of course we would need a GPS unit- again I am lacking here. If a group of us were to head down only to find the waves too big to get out, there is a great plan b- go out in the basin of Ft. Fisher.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Its a great place to fish depending on the time of year and the wind direction. Great place for Spanish, grey trout and of course sheepshead. The top of the rock comes up with 15 feet of the surface so when the water is clear it is easy to find. If the greys are not on one side, try the other side of the rock - they will get out of the current.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Sounds like a worthwhile place to learn about fishing the ocean side. I can help with the GPS, I just don't have the marine charts, so we'd be heading for a flag floating in the middle of the ocean :D. I've been telling myself I wanted to have a VHF on hand before I ventured out into the big pond... not sure how the tackle monkey would react to that...

Reactions: skooteri

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've paddled to it a few times. It's a good place for flounder and spanish. I've not had any luck with the spanish though. You can pretty much get there by driving out on the beach and finding the pilings right at the edge of the beach. It's almost straight out from there after a short 20 minute paddle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.