NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the construction still going on at the Oregon Inlet bridges is there anywhere I can put in a kayak and fish the bridges for sheepshead?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
If you are absolutely insane you can..... That may be some of the most dangerous water in the country for both powerboats and kayaks, with huge waves and currents that go over 10mph.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
While it no doubt can be a dangerous place, kayakers do fish it plenty. Definitely not a beginner spot tho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a beginner by any means. :) Been there before. I do know it is a dangerous place but I have not been fishing at the bridge for a couple of years and do not know what the construction has done to the waters etc. Want to go for sheepshead and that was always a favorite place to go for such in the past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not a beginner by any means. :) Been there before. I do know it is a dangerous place but I have not been fishing at the bridge for a couple of years and do not know what the construction has done to the waters etc. Want to go for sheepshead and that was always a favorite place to go for such in the past.
its been four months since i was their in the parking lot on the south end of the bridge...i remember it would be a heck of a haul to get to the old port of the coast guard but only because of the hauling the kayak physically but i am out of shape and older... yet i was able to walk from the old parking lot to that point then.. maybe someone else can give more info..... manns harbor used to have great sheep head fishing too but it would be a heck of a paddle if windy. Not fishing at that time btw.. the lady loves shelling and loves the colder times...although i did tell her it wasn't a great place to shell but ya do what ya gotta do for em

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah man wasn't trying to insinuate you were a beginner. Just saying as a general rule not a spot for beginners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah man wasn't trying to insinuate you were a beginner. Just saying as a general rule not a spot for beginners.

it is an amazing thing to watch.. the water can have swirls going two different swirls in twenty foot swaths and move away fifty feet and same thing...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk No problem. :) Just discovered my wife wants to take a whole lot more stuff so now I have no room on the truck for the kayak. LOL Need to find another way to find some sheepshead. May rent a kayak for the day, who knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Y’all should search Southern Reels Fishing on YouTube, he posted a video of kayaking for sheep’s head at Oregon inlet last week.
Looked for that video and could not find it. He has a lot of others on sheepshead fishing at the CBBT which I fish freqently.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I always put in at the end of the parking lot of the marina. BUT I mostly paddle up toward the lighthouse and avoid the bridge. If you do a google maps sat view you can see some open spots on the east side of the bridge that are pretty protected…but they are well away from the inlet itself. I am there now and the wind is blowing 19 today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A buddy of mine fished the new bridge at the inlet last week and came away with some nice fish. It's a tough inlet to fish but if you know what you're doing it can be done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts