NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
They are easier to catch with live shrimp if the pinfish etc aren't around. That is a big IF. They have to chase the shrimp and they really nail them instead of just cruising up stopping and sitting there like they do with sand fleas and fiddlers. The problem is where you find sheephead the pinfish are usually in the same place. Pinfish will get the shrimps legs first and before you can get it in position he is already dead and partially eaten. There are times though when there are no pinfish around and you can really work on the sheephead.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's truely amazing how subtle their bite is and how much fight they have after being hooked. Caught the ones yesterday while a small barge was kicking around attaching dredge pipes together. An old salt told me that the bottom gets stirred up by the ferries and barges inside the marina and this creates feeding opportunities for the fish. The sheepshead sure didn't mind the barge being 20 feet away.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Nice catch for sure, those are tasty fish.

Hey did you happen to see any menhaden schools while you were fishing this week-end? I'll be down there next week-end for a tournament and as I usually fish up here I 'm not familiar with where the pogies are down there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TA, I've not seen any myself and don't know many folk here to ask. I've been here since April and bait has been scarce, but I don't have a boat so my knowledge is limited to the marsh and immediate shore. I will try to find out though. Looked as if there was a tournament nearby yesterday. More than the usual # of 30 footers with 700 plus horses behind.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Yup - that was the FLW Series - NC Division. My friend and neighbor, Chris Edens took first place and won a check for over $21K!

After I wrote the above I saw him and he gave me spots where they found bait so hopefully the pogies will be there next week too. But if you hear anything, thanks for letting me know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.